value label __MERGE for _merge already exists

value label __MERGE for _merge already exists

sara borelli
Dear Statalister
when I merge two datasets using mmerge I get the following mmessage

value label __MERGE for _merge already exists

the merge seems to work ok, but the obs from different datasets instead of getting labeled in the traditional way  like
 obs only in master data                (code==1)
 obs only in using data                 (code==2)
 obs both in master and using data      (code==3)

have just  obs  1          (code==1)
           obs 2           (code==2)
           obs 3           (code==3)

This is happening only with some datasets, but I do not know exactly why.
is there a way to eliminate this new label of merge?

Re: value label __MERGE for _merge already exists

Sergiy Radyakin
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM, sara borelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Statalister
> when I merge two datasets using mmerge I get the following mmessage
>
> value label __MERGE for _merge already exists
>
> the merge seems to work ok, but the obs from different datasets instead of getting labeled in the traditional way  like
>  obs only in master data                (code==1)
>  obs only in using data                 (code==2)
>  obs both in master and using data      (code==3)
>
> have just  obs  1          (code==1)
>           obs 2           (code==2)
>           obs 3           (code==3)
>
> This is happening only with some datasets, but I do not know exactly why.
> is there a way to eliminate this new label of merge?

1. Check if any of the two datasets being merged has the __MERGE label defined
already. Drop such before merging.

2. See if the problem occurs when you use standard -merge- instead of -mmerge-

Best, Sergiy Radyakin