stata question

rehamrizk
I am using stata 12
I am asking about merging two variables:The first is string and represent economic activity of the main job (agriculture/industrial/service sectors ) and the second is the earnings of the waged employee and it is numeric... the issue about earning variable has two variables , the net value of the basic wage (money value) and frequency of basic wage (day/week/month/3months/year). should I ado any conversion first ?
it ends up I want to know the wages of different sectors for example :agriculture earns how much, industrial earns how much .....etc.