st: standard errors poverty measurement Stata 10

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

st: standard errors poverty measurement Stata 10

c.boeber
Dear Stata users,

is there a command to derive in Stata 10 with standard errors for  
Foster, Greer and Thorbecke type of poverty measurements?

The poverty rate a such I edrived as following (for one specifc region)

poverty  pcexp if region==1 , line(9500.4)  h

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poverty measures of pcexp
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Your selection is made of 155 observations.
  The following poverty analysis has been using the 155 non-missing
  observations for pcexp in your selection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  The poverty line is set at 9500.4 units

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Headcount ratio %                         79.355

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every comment is most appreciated.

Best regards

Christian

--
___________________________________________________________

Christian Böber
International Research Training Group
"Sustainable Resource Use in North China" (769)
Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in
the Tropics and Subtropics (490A)
University of Hohenheim
D-70593 Stuttgart/ Germany
Phone: ++49 (0) 711-459-23475
Email: [hidden email]
___________________________________________________________


*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: st: standard errors poverty measurement Stata 10

Stas Kolenikov
There are some commands by Dean Jolliffe with some Russian folks
(-findit sepov-). I thought Stephen Jenkins had something about that,
too, but I cannot locate it in -findit poverty- output -- it might've
been s.e.s for inequality measures, rather.

You can get pretty much anything you need using -mean- of
appropriately generated variables and -nlcom- to combine them into FGT
measure of interest. What's more, that will also be appropriate for
complex survey designs -- I have serious doubts that you will have
access to any sort of census data in Subsaharan Africa.

Can you possibly comment as to why do you need s.e.s on your poverty
measures? It is rather unusual that somebody wants them... although it
pleases my inner statistician to see people do that :)).

On 12/5/08, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Stata users,
>
>  is there a command to derive in Stata 10 with standard errors for Foster,
> Greer and Thorbecke type of poverty measurements?

--
Stas Kolenikov, also found at http://stas.kolenikov.name
Small print: I use this email account for mailing lists only.
*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: st: standard errors poverty measurement Stata 10

Abdel Rahmen El Lahga
you can use the DASP package  developed by A. Araar and J-Y Duclos
available at http://132.203.59.36/DASP/index.html
you can estimate various poverty inequality measure with their s.e and
taking into account the sampling design.
Concerning the remark of  Stas Kolenikov I note that std-err of
poverty measure are required by most journal and policy maker to
assess the effect of sampling variability on poverty and inequlity
measure. This is a usuel practice in the profession
HTH
AbdelRahmen El Lahga
University of Tunis

2008/12/5 Stas Kolenikov <[hidden email]>:

> There are some commands by Dean Jolliffe with some Russian folks
> (-findit sepov-). I thought Stephen Jenkins had something about that,
> too, but I cannot locate it in -findit poverty- output -- it might've
> been s.e.s for inequality measures, rather.
>
> You can get pretty much anything you need using -mean- of
> appropriately generated variables and -nlcom- to combine them into FGT
> measure of interest. What's more, that will also be appropriate for
> complex survey designs -- I have serious doubts that you will have
> access to any sort of census data in Subsaharan Africa.
>
> Can you possibly comment as to why do you need s.e.s on your poverty
> measures? It is rather unusual that somebody wants them... although it
> pleases my inner statistician to see people do that :)).
>
> On 12/5/08, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Stata users,
>>
>>  is there a command to derive in Stata 10 with standard errors for Foster,
>> Greer and Thorbecke type of poverty measurements?
>
> --
> Stas Kolenikov, also found at http://stas.kolenikov.name
> Small print: I use this email account for mailing lists only.
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>



--
AbdelRahmen El Lahga
*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: st: standard errors poverty measurement Stata 10

Joao Ricardo F. Lima
In reply to this post by c.boeber
Dear Christian,

this link will be useful to you:
http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/bocasug06/16.htm

HTH,

Joao Lima

2008/12/5  <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Stata users,
>
> is there a command to derive in Stata 10 with standard errors for Foster,
> Greer and Thorbecke type of poverty measurements?
>
> The poverty rate a such I edrived as following (for one specifc region)
>
> poverty  pcexp if region==1 , line(9500.4)  h
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Poverty measures of pcexp
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>  Your selection is made of 155 observations.
>  The following poverty analysis has been using the 155 non-missing
>  observations for pcexp in your selection.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  The poverty line is set at 9500.4 units
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Headcount ratio %                         79.355
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Every comment is most appreciated.
>
> Best regards
>
> Christian
>
> --
> ___________________________________________________________
>
> Christian Böber
> International Research Training Group
> "Sustainable Resource Use in North China" (769)
> Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in
> the Tropics and Subtropics (490A)
> University of Hohenheim
> D-70593 Stuttgart/ Germany
> Phone: ++49 (0) 711-459-23475
> Email: [hidden email]
> ___________________________________________________________
>
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>



--
----------------------------------------
Joao Ricardo Lima, D.Sc.
Professor
UFPB-CCA-DCFS
Fone: +553138923914
Skype: joao_ricardo_lima
----------------------------------------

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: st: standard errors poverty measurement Stata 10

Stas Kolenikov
In reply to this post by Abdel Rahmen El Lahga
Well in that whole DASP manual, they never discuss how they get the
standard errors. If that were a Stata Journal submission, it would
probably be returned with a request for Methods and Formulas section.
It is not mentioned in their huge analytical manual, either --
although of course that's a very useful summary of all things in
distributional economics, with all the right references. And
unfortunately I've seen more than once that something produced and
promoted by the World Bank eventually gets rebutted for not being
technically/statistically/econometrically solid -- maybe for the
simple reason that it does not have to pass peer review and be
presented at half a dozen seminars with critical audience to appear as
a working paper (and it does not help much that the number of people
who understand both economics of distribution and analysis with
complex survey data is miserably small). So if I were using this
package I would at least make sure that it produces correct standard
errors by cross-checking with other procedures.

Of course producing standard errors is a useful practice. But even
computing the standard error of a difference of two say Gini
coefficients or FGT indices between two surveys may not be that easy
if the samples are not perfectly independent.

Just a word of caution.

On 12/5/08, Abdel Rahmen El Lahga <[hidden email]> wrote:
> you can use the DASP package  developed by A. Araar and J-Y Duclos
>  available at http://132.203.59.36/DASP/index.html
>  you can estimate various poverty inequality measure with their s.e and
>  taking into account the sampling design.
>  Concerning the remark of  Stas Kolenikov I note that std-err of
>  poverty measure are required by most journal and policy maker to
>  assess the effect of sampling variability on poverty and inequlity
>  measure. This is a usuel practice in the profession

--
Stas Kolenikov, also found at http://stas.kolenikov.name
Small print: I use this email account for mailing lists only.
*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: st: standard errors poverty measurement Stata 10

Austin Nichols
In reply to this post by c.boeber
It looks to me like you want % with pcexp<=9500.4 --is that right?  If so, just:

g byte poverty=(pcexp<=9500.4) if pcexp<.
g byte reg1=region==1
svy, subpop(reg1): tab poverty, se
svy, subpop(reg1): tab poverty, ci
svy: tab region poverty, row ci

If you do not have survey data, just

svyset, srs

first.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:05 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Stata users,
>
> is there a command to derive in Stata 10 with standard errors for Foster,
> Greer and Thorbecke type of poverty measurements?
>
> The poverty rate a such I edrived as following (for one specifc region)
>
> poverty  pcexp if region==1 , line(9500.4)  h
> Headcount ratio %                         79.355
*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/