Quantcast

st: quick question on "unrecognized command" error

st: quick question on "unrecognized command" error

mujde erten
Hi all,

I was using Stata in my school server, and requested them to update
the Stata 10. Somehow while updating they messed up something and now
I am getting "unrecognized command: label r(199)" error message. Any
command that includes the "label" command such as "clear" gives the
same error. Since they don't have any idea about Stata they can not
fix it. Is there anyone who had similar problems and give me some
advice or just has an idea what may be going on? Thanks.

MZE

Re: st: quick question on "unrecognized command" error

Maarten buis
--- mujde erten <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was using Stata in my school server, and requested them to update
> the Stata 10. Somehow while updating they messed up something

Did you alreay try typing -update swap-?

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

st: RE: quick question on "unrecognized command" error

Your technical people should get in touch with StataCorp Technical
Support. This suggests an incomplete update, but a ton of speculation on
quite what has happened would be worth less than a gram, or even an
ounce,  of precise help from StataCorp. But sometimes even technical
people copy across a new executable without typing -update swap- as
instructed

By the way, there is no inherent virtue to quick questions, which can be
just as difficult to answer as any other kind.

mujde erten

I was using Stata in my school server, and requested them to update
the Stata 10. Somehow while updating they messed up something and now
I am getting "unrecognized command: label r(199)" error message. Any
command that includes the "label" command such as "clear" gives the
same error. Since they don't have any idea about Stata they can not
fix it. Is there anyone who had similar problems and give me some
advice or just has an idea what may be going on?

Re: st: RE: quick question on "unrecognized command" error

mujde erten
Thanks for the answer. "Quick Question" is just a way of getting
attention I guess since I am in deep trouble because of this delaying
problem.

MZE

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Nick Cox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your technical people should get in touch with StataCorp Technical
> Support. This suggests an incomplete update, but a ton of speculation on
> quite what has happened would be worth less than a gram, or even an
> ounce,  of precise help from StataCorp. But sometimes even technical
> people copy across a new executable without typing -update swap- as
> instructed
>
> By the way, there is no inherent virtue to quick questions, which can be
> just as difficult to answer as any other kind.
>
> Nick
> [hidden email]
>
> mujde erten
>
> I was using Stata in my school server, and requested them to update
> the Stata 10. Somehow while updating they messed up something and now
> I am getting "unrecognized command: label r(199)" error message. Any
> command that includes the "label" command such as "clear" gives the
> same error. Since they don't have any idea about Stata they can not
> fix it. Is there anyone who had similar problems and give me some
> advice or just has an idea what may be going on?

RE: st: RE: quick question on "unrecognized command" error

Nick Cox
That is candid, but since you raise the point, I have to say that is
quite the wrong answer to give. Any explicit or tacit claim to special
or urgent attention is antisocial, unless you are prepared to pay
special rates to a willing consultant -- in which case that would not be
a matter for Statalist.

The point was discussed in detail in a thread starting with

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-04/msg01286.html>

None of that denies your "deep trouble", but the point remains. Any way,
you have two answers.

mujde erten