st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

Prashant Shukla
Hi All,

I am using -outsheet- to transfer data as txt files. The file needs to
be loaded into a system which requires only one space between the
columns. This is because the files need to be fixed with and when they
are tab separated, they have multiple spaces between the columns. So the
file ends up not being the width we want and all the columns after the
first one do not have the required start and end positions.

-------------------------------------

For instance, what I have is:

1001 1002 1003 1004 1005

What I need is:

1001 1002 1003 1004 1005
-------------------------------------

Is there a way to define a tab as being one space? Or, is there another
way to accomplish this goal of one space between columns in a txt files
with Stata or Stat/Transfer(I have that too)?

Thanks so much everyone,

-Prash.

Re: st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

Dan Weitzenfeld
-help outsheet- says to try the option delimiter("char")

e.g.,

outsheet using "filename.txt", delimiter(" ")

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Prashant Shukla
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using -outsheet- to transfer data as txt files. The file needs to
> be loaded into a system which requires only one space between the
> columns. This is because the files need to be fixed with and when they
> are tab separated, they have multiple spaces between the columns. So the
> file ends up not being the width we want and all the columns after the
> first one do not have the required start and end positions.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> For instance, what I have is:
>
> 1001    1002    1003    1004    1005
>
> What I need is:
>
> 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005
> -------------------------------------
>
> Is there a way to define a tab as being one space? Or, is there another
> way to accomplish this goal of one space between columns in a txt files
> with Stata or Stat/Transfer(I have that too)?
>
> Thanks so much everyone,
>
> -Prash.

Dan Weitzenfeld
Media Analyst
EmSense Corporation
512 2nd Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107
w: 415.418.7314
m: 510.552.0106

RE: st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

Prashant Shukla
Thanks a bunch Dan! That works.

-Prash.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using -outsheet- to transfer data as txt files. The file needs to
> be loaded into a system which requires only one space between the
> columns. This is because the files need to be fixed with and when they
> are tab separated, they have multiple spaces between the columns. So
the

> file ends up not being the width we want and all the columns after the
> first one do not have the required start and end positions.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> For instance, what I have is:
>
> 1001    1002    1003    1004    1005
>
> What I need is:
>
> 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005
> -------------------------------------
>
> Is there a way to define a tab as being one space? Or, is there
another
> way to accomplish this goal of one space between columns in a txt
files

> with Stata or Stat/Transfer(I have that too)?
>
> Thanks so much everyone,
>
> -Prash.

Dan Weitzenfeld
Media Analyst
EmSense Corporation
512 2nd Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107
w: 415.418.7314
m: 510.552.0106

AW: st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

Jochen Späth
I just tried using -outsheet- with the -char(" ")- option, however, this produces in some cases data field separated by more than one space, too. I have no solution to your problem, but maybe it would be a good workaround to -outfile- your data using the -comma- option. Having done so, open the new file with an editor of your choice, replace every instance of repeated commas (e.g. ",,,,,") by one single space first and then replace the remaining instance of only one comma with one space, too.

Hope this helps,
Jochen
Jochen Späth
Dipl.-Volkswirt
Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW) Tübingen
Ob dem Himmelreich 1
72074 Tübingen
Tel.: +49-(0)7071-9896-14
Fax: +49-(0)7071-9896-99
EMail: [hidden email]
IAW-Homepage: www.iaw.edu

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using -outsheet- to transfer data as txt files. The file needs to
> be loaded into a system which requires only one space between the
> columns. This is because the files need to be fixed with and when they
> are tab separated, they have multiple spaces between the columns. So the
> file ends up not being the width we want and all the columns after the
> first one do not have the required start and end positions.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> For instance, what I have is:
>
> 1001    1002    1003    1004    1005
>
> What I need is:
>
> 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005
> -------------------------------------
>
> Is there a way to define a tab as being one space? Or, is there another
> way to accomplish this goal of one space between columns in a txt files
> with Stata or Stat/Transfer(I have that too)?
>
> Thanks so much everyone,
>
> -Prash.

Dan Weitzenfeld
Media Analyst
EmSense Corporation
512 2nd Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107
w: 415.418.7314
m: 510.552.0106

Re: st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

Austin Nichols
Prashant Shukla <[hidden email]>
For fixed width output, try
 ssc inst outfixt

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Prashant Shukla
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using -outsheet- to transfer data as txt files. The file needs to
> be loaded into a system which requires only one space between the
> columns. This is because the files need to be fixed with and when they
> are tab separated, they have multiple spaces between the columns. So the
> file ends up not being the width we want and all the columns after the
> first one do not have the required start and end positions.

RE: st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

Prashant Shukla
Thanks Jochen.

Yes, now I notice it too. I think -outsheet- with -char(" ")- option produces columns separated by more than one space when we have blank column. Now a new problem arises here, a blank column formatted as a string of length, say 5, still appears as only one space instead of 5. Do I need to manually set the blank columns to be equal to "     "?

I will try -outfile- using the -comma- option and see how that goes. Thanks again,

-Prash.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using -outsheet- to transfer data as txt files. The file needs to
> be loaded into a system which requires only one space between the
> columns. This is because the files need to be fixed with and when they
> are tab separated, they have multiple spaces between the columns. So the
> file ends up not being the width we want and all the columns after the
> first one do not have the required start and end positions.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> For instance, what I have is:
>
> 1001    1002    1003    1004    1005
>
> What I need is:
>
> 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005
> -------------------------------------
>
> Is there a way to define a tab as being one space? Or, is there another
> way to accomplish this goal of one space between columns in a txt files
> with Stata or Stat/Transfer(I have that too)?
>
> Thanks so much everyone,
>
> -Prash.

Dan Weitzenfeld
Media Analyst
EmSense Corporation
512 2nd Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107
w: 415.418.7314
m: 510.552.0106

RE: st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

Prashant Shukla
Thanks Austin, -outfixt- seems really cool and fitting for my situation.
I will check it out soon.

-Prash.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using -outsheet- to transfer data as txt files. The file needs to
> be loaded into a system which requires only one space between the
> columns. This is because the files need to be fixed with and when they
> are tab separated, they have multiple spaces between the columns. So
the
> file ends up not being the width we want and all the columns after the
> first one do not have the required start and end positions.

RE: st: outsheet txt files with one space between columns

Prashant Shukla
Hi Austin,

As I am using -outfixt- I realize that I need to specify all the columns
again in the command with the -format- option in addition to writing all
the variables under the -varlist- option.

Since, I already have all the variables named, aligned, and formatted
correctly in my dataset; and I am dealing with as many as 300 variables
in one dataset, is there a way to avoid using these options and just
select all the variables by default and use the same format as I have
specified in the program? This would be huge for me.

Also, I am using a path and a file name inside quotations to export the
file to the desired location. The command displays the dataset in the
output window, with breaks, which is not the intention. And the full
file is not exported either. I think only the portion of dataset that
the output window can accommodate before the first break is being
exported. What am I doing wrong?

-Prash.