st: lambda--p-value

JOHN ANTONAKIS
Does anyone have code for calculating lambda (nominal to nomial
association) as well as the associated approximate p-value. I know of
the lambda ado file (by Nick Cox); however, is there anything else out
there?

It is strange that STATA doesn't have this measure in the tab
function--this is something that is "canned" in SPSS.

Thank you.
John Antonakis

st: RE: lambda--p-value

Nick Cox
-lambda- on SSC (please explain where user-written stuff you refer to
comes from) was originally written, I think, because someone on the list
asked how to calculate the beast. As I recall, a P-value calculation is
problematic as well as messy, as the applicability of the theory to
small samples is a matter of faith. Hence getting a bootstrap confidence
interval and see if it straddles zero is surely the way to go. That
requires no extra programs.

The mention of SPSS is not decisive here. Measures of association like
this proliferate in the literature like mushrooms in the dark and
conceal as much as they reveal. StataCorp's prejudice has long been that
it is better to think in terms of modelling commands.

John Antonakis

Does anyone have code for calculating lambda (nominal to nomial
association) as well as the associated approximate p-value. I know of
the lambda ado file (by Nick Cox); however, is there anything else out
there?

It is strange that STATA doesn't have this measure in the tab
function--this is something that is "canned" in SPSS.

Re: st: RE: lambda--p-value

JOHN ANTONAKIS
Hi Nick:

How does one use the bootstrap with your lamda ado file?  I am not
following what you have suggested.

Thanks.
John.

Nick Cox wrote:
 > -lambda- on SSC (please explain where user-written stuff you refer to
 > comes from) was originally written, I think, because someone on the list
 > asked how to calculate the beast. As I recall, a P-value calculation is
 > problematic as well as messy, as the applicability of the theory to
 > small samples is a matter of faith. Hence getting a bootstrap confidence
 > interval and see if it straddles zero is surely the way to go. That
 > requires no extra programs.
 >
 > The mention of SPSS is not decisive here. Measures of association like
 > this proliferate in the literature like mushrooms in the dark and
 > conceal as much as they reveal. StataCorp's prejudice has long been that
 > it is better to think in terms of modelling commands.
 >
 > Nick
 > [hidden email]
 >
 > John Antonakis
 >
 > Does anyone have code for calculating lambda (nominal to nomial
 > association) as well as the associated approximate p-value. I know of
 > the lambda ado file (by Nick Cox); however, is there anything else out
 > there?
 >
 > It is strange that STATA doesn't have this measure in the tab
 > function--this is something that is "canned" in SPSS.

Re: st: RE: lambda--p-value

Martin Weiss-5
sysuse auto, clear
bootstrap r(lambda), reps(50) : lambda rep f

_______________________
> How does one use the bootstrap with your lamda ado file?  I am not
> following what you have suggested.
>
> Thanks.
> John.
>
> Nick Cox wrote:
> > -lambda- on SSC (please explain where user-written stuff you refer to
> > comes from) was originally written, I think, because someone on the list
> > asked how to calculate the beast. As I recall, a P-value calculation is
> > problematic as well as messy, as the applicability of the theory to
> > small samples is a matter of faith. Hence getting a bootstrap confidence
> > interval and see if it straddles zero is surely the way to go. That
> > requires no extra programs.
> >
> > The mention of SPSS is not decisive here. Measures of association like
> > this proliferate in the literature like mushrooms in the dark and
> > conceal as much as they reveal. StataCorp's prejudice has long been that
> > it is better to think in terms of modelling commands.
> >
> > Nick
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > John Antonakis
> >
> > Does anyone have code for calculating lambda (nominal to nomial
> > association) as well as the associated approximate p-value. I know of
> > the lambda ado file (by Nick Cox); however, is there anything else out
> > there?
> >
> > It is strange that STATA doesn't have this measure in the tab
> > function--this is something that is "canned" in SPSS.
> >

> > *
> > *   For searches and help try:
> > *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> > *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> > *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

RE: st: RE: lambda--p-value

Nick Cox
Martin said it; except that if you care, you might as well use a few
thousand -reps()-.

Martin Weiss

Nick Cox wrote:

> > -lambda- on SSC (please explain where user-written stuff you refer
> > comes from) was originally written, I think, because someone on the
list
> > asked how to calculate the beast. As I recall, a P-value calculation
is
> > problematic as well as messy, as the applicability of the theory to
> > small samples is a matter of faith. Hence getting a bootstrap
confidence
> > interval and see if it straddles zero is surely the way to go. That
> > requires no extra programs.
> >
> > The mention of SPSS is not decisive here. Measures of association
like
> > this proliferate in the literature like mushrooms in the dark and
> > conceal as much as they reveal. StataCorp's prejudice has long been
that
> > it is better to think in terms of modelling commands.

John Antonakis

> > Does anyone have code for calculating lambda (nominal to nomial
> > association) as well as the associated approximate p-value. I know
of
> > the lambda ado file (by Nick Cox); however, is there anything else
out
> > there?
> >
> > It is strange that STATA doesn't have this measure in the tab
> > function--this is something that is "canned" in SPSS.

Re: st: RE: lambda--p-value

JOHN ANTONAKIS
Thanks Marin, Nick.

Best,