st: histogram, read axes

Richard Boylan
I was wondering if there are any easy way to read the histogram that
state created.

Specially, I would to know exactly what bins were created and how many
observations are in each bin.

After drawing the histogram, I thought I would be able to see this
information using some "return" type of command,
but clearly that does not seem to be the case. I looked at the manual
but did not see any such commands either.

I looked at the STATA listserv and I was surprised to see that this
issue has not arisen before.

Re: st: histogram, read axes

Austin Nichols
ssc inst byhist
sysuse auto
byhist mpg
mat li r(b)

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Richard Boylan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any easy way to read the histogram that
> state created.
>
> Specially, I would to know exactly what bins were created and how many
> observations are in each bin.
>
> After drawing the histogram, I thought I would be able to see this
> information using some "return" type of command,
> but clearly that does not seem to be the case. I looked at the manual
> but did not see any such commands either.
>
> I looked at the STATA listserv and I was surprised to see that this
> issue has not arisen before.

Re: st: histogram, read axes

Richard Boylan
Thanks. That does exactly what I asked for, but the command "byhist"
does not allow two options that I was using.

First, I was using the option "by(var1 var2)" and byhist seem to only
allow "by(var1)."

Second, I was using the option "scheme(s2mono)" which byhist does not allow.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Austin Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ssc inst byhist
> sysuse auto
> byhist mpg
> mat li r(b)
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Richard Boylan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was wondering if there are any easy way to read the histogram that
>> state created.
>>
>> Specially, I would to know exactly what bins were created and how many
>> observations are in each bin.
>>
>> After drawing the histogram, I thought I would be able to see this
>> information using some "return" type of command,
>> but clearly that does not seem to be the case. I looked at the manual
>> but did not see any such commands either.
>>
>> I looked at the STATA listserv and I was surprised to see that this
>> issue has not arisen before.

RE: st: histogram, read axes

Martin Weiss-5
" Second, I was using the option "scheme(s2mono)" which byhist does not
allow."

After running "byhist", pull down "Edit- Apply Scheme" in the Graph Window
and apply your desired scheme...

wrote:

>> I was wondering if there are any easy way to read the histogram that
>> state created.
>>
>> Specially, I would to know exactly what bins were created and how many
>> observations are in each bin.
>>
>> After drawing the histogram, I thought I would be able to see this
>> information using some "return" type of command,
>> but clearly that does not seem to be the case. I looked at the manual
>> but did not see any such commands either.
>>
>> I looked at the STATA listserv and I was surprised to see that this
>> issue has not arisen before.

RE: st: histogram, read axes

Martin Weiss-5
Line for the server...

Or, better still, toss it into the call to -byhist- within its -tw()- option
so the -scheme- gets passed through...

"byhist mpg, tw(scheme(s2mono))"

wrote:

>> I was wondering if there are any easy way to read the histogram that
>> state created.
>>
>> Specially, I would to know exactly what bins were created and how many
>> observations are in each bin.
>>
>> After drawing the histogram, I thought I would be able to see this
>> information using some "return" type of command,
>> but clearly that does not seem to be the case. I looked at the manual
>> but did not see any such commands either.
>>
>> I looked at the STATA listserv and I was surprised to see that this
>> issue has not arisen before.

Re: st: histogram, read axes

Austin Nichols
How about this?

cap ssc inst byhist
sysuse auto
egen g=group(for rep78), label
byhist mpg, by(g) tw(scheme(s2mono) leg(col(1)))
mat li r(b)
la li g

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Richard Boylan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks. That does exactly what I asked for, but the command "byhist"
> does not allow two options that I was using.
>
> First, I was using the option "by(var1 var2)" and byhist seem to only
> allow "by(var1)."
>
> Second, I was using the option "scheme(s2mono)" which byhist does not allow.
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Austin Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ssc inst byhist
>> sysuse auto
>> byhist mpg
>> mat li r(b)
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Richard Boylan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I was wondering if there are any easy way to read the histogram that
>>> state created.
>>>
>>> Specially, I would to know exactly what bins were created and how many
>>> observations are in each bin.
>>>
>>> After drawing the histogram, I thought I would be able to see this
>>> information using some "return" type of command,
>>> but clearly that does not seem to be the case. I looked at the manual
>>> but did not see any such commands either.

Re: st: histogram, read axes

Richard Boylan
Thank you so much. It is different from my original graphs, but it may
be better. I will have to play around with it.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Austin Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about this?
>
> cap ssc inst byhist
> sysuse auto
> egen g=group(for rep78), label
> byhist mpg, by(g) tw(scheme(s2mono) leg(col(1)))
> mat li r(b)
> la li g
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Richard Boylan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks. That does exactly what I asked for, but the command "byhist"
>> does not allow two options that I was using.
>>
>> First, I was using the option "by(var1 var2)" and byhist seem to only
>> allow "by(var1)."
>>
>> Second, I was using the option "scheme(s2mono)" which byhist does not allow.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Austin Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> ssc inst byhist
>>> sysuse auto
>>> byhist mpg
>>> mat li r(b)

st: RE: histogram, read axes

What Stata does graphically with -histogram- can be replicated
numerically using the -twoway__histogram_gen- command. This was written
up in

SJ-5-2  gr0014  . . . . . . . Stata tip 20: Generating histogram bin
variables
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. A.
Harrison
        Q2/05   SJ 5(2):280--281                                 (no
commands)
        tip illustrating the use of twoway__histogram_gen for
        creation of complex histograms and other graphs or tables

which is accessible to all under the Stata Journal's 3 year window.

Example:

sysuse auto
twoway__histogram_gen mpg, width(2) start(10) gen(freq centre) freq
l freq centre if centre < .

Richard Boylan

I was wondering if there are any easy way to read the histogram that
state created.

Specially, I would to know exactly what bins were created and how many
observations are in each bin.

After drawing the histogram, I thought I would be able to see this
information using some "return" type of command,
but clearly that does not seem to be the case. I looked at the manual
but did not see any such commands either.

I looked at the STATA listserv and I was surprised to see that this
issue has not arisen before.

Re: st: RE: histogram, read axes

Richard Boylan
Thanks, although the option "by()" is not allowed with
twoway__histogram_gen mpg

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Nick Cox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What Stata does graphically with -histogram- can be replicated
> numerically using the -twoway__histogram_gen- command. This was written
> up in
>
> SJ-5-2  gr0014  . . . . . . . Stata tip 20: Generating histogram bin
> variables
>        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D. A.
> Harrison
>        Q2/05   SJ 5(2):280--281                                 (no
> commands)
>        tip illustrating the use of twoway__histogram_gen for
>        creation of complex histograms and other graphs or tables
>
> which is accessible to all under the Stata Journal's 3 year window.
>
> Example:
>
> sysuse auto
> twoway__histogram_gen mpg, width(2) start(10) gen(freq centre) freq
> l freq centre if centre < .
>
> Nick
> [hidden email]
>
> Richard Boylan
>
> I was wondering if there are any easy way to read the histogram that
> state created.
>
> Specially, I would to know exactly what bins were created and how many
> observations are in each bin.
>
> After drawing the histogram, I thought I would be able to see this
> information using some "return" type of command,
> but clearly that does not seem to be the case. I looked at the manual
> but did not see any such commands either.
>
> I looked at the STATA listserv and I was surprised to see that this
> issue has not arisen before.

Re: st: RE: histogram, read axes

Austin Nichols
Richard Boylan <[hidden email]>:
If you want to loop over values and run -twoway__histogram_gen- for
each distinct value, you can use -levelsof- and -foreach-.  -byhist-
on SSC uses the "total" category to pick bins using
-twoway__histogram_gen-, i.e. it uses the marginal distribution across
all by() groups.  In general, if you are comparing histograms it is
advantageous to use a common bin specification IMHO.