st: grc1leg

Chris Witte
I've ran into a problem using -grc1leg-, which puts a single legend on a combined graph.  I am unable to use the -xsize- and -ysize- region options, which are available when using -graph combine-.  here's an example:

sysuse auto, clear
scatter price mpg, name(g1)
scatter weight length, name(g2)
graph combine "C:\_DATA\g1" "C:\_DATA\g2", ysize(10)
grc1leg "C:\_DATA\g1" "C:\_DATA\g2", ysize(10)

can anyone fix this?

st: Re: grc1leg

Martin Weiss-5
Seems to me that -grc1leg- takes all the options of the official -gr
combine-. Your syntax runs without error for me (apart from the obvious path
issue), with

. which grc1leg
c:\ado\plus\g\grc1leg.ado
*! version 1.0.4  08sep2005

_______________________
> I've ran into a problem using -grc1leg-, which puts a single legend on a
> combined graph. I am unable to use the -xsize- and -ysize- region options,
> which are available when using -graph combine-. here's an example:
>
> sysuse auto, clear
> scatter price mpg, name(g1)
> scatter weight length, name(g2)
> graph combine "C:\_DATA\g1" "C:\_DATA\g2", ysize(10)
> grc1leg "C:\_DATA\g1" "C:\_DATA\g2", ysize(10)
>
> can anyone fix this?

Re: st: Re: grc1leg

Chris Witte
hmm, when I run the -gr combine- I get a very tall skinny combined graph, but the -grc1leg- does not do that for me.  It is like the ysize option is ignored, and doesn't return an error or anything.

sorry about the path mess...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Witte" <[hidden email]>

*
*  For searches and help try:
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

Re: st: grc1leg

Gary Longton
< >

Yes, I had run into the same problem in the past, but found a workaround.

It appears that the xsize() and ysize() region_options are unrecognized by
-grc1leg- due to the use of -graph combine, nodraw `name'-  and a subsequent
-graph draw, `name'- in the .ado.

The workaround I used was to save the combined graph generated with -grc1leg-
using the -,name()- option, then to redraw it with the -graph display- command,
including the desired xsize() ysize() settings there.

   .sysuse auto, clear
   .scatter price mpg, name(g1, replace)
   .scatter weight length, name(g2, replace)
   .grc1leg g1 g2, name(g3, replace)
   .graph display g3, xsize(5) ysize(10)

- Gary

Chris Witte wrote:

> I've ran into a problem using -grc1leg-, which puts a single legend on a combined graph.  I am unable to use the -xsize- and -ysize- region options, which are available when using -graph combine-.  here's an example:
>
> sysuse auto, clear
> scatter price mpg, name(g1)
> scatter weight length, name(g2)
> graph combine "C:\_DATA\g1" "C:\_DATA\g2", ysize(10)
> grc1leg "C:\_DATA\g1" "C:\_DATA\g2", ysize(10)
>
> can anyone fix this?

Re: st: Re: grc1leg

Michael Hanson
Unless I misunderstand your example (which the exchange below
suggests it may fail the Statalist FAQ dictum: "Say exactly what you
typed and exactly what Stata typed (or did) in response. N.B.
exactly!"), it looks to me that you are not using your named graphs
in your -graph combine- and -grc1leg- commands, but rather (old?)
versions you have saved to disk.  If so, this could yield
unanticipated results.

(As an aside:  why hard-code Windows-type paths into such a simple
example?  It is completely unnecessary, even if you are -saving()-
the graphs.  When people do this, they are implicitly saying they
don't want any help from the many folks on Statalist who use a non-MS
operating system.)

-- Mike

On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:21 PM, Chris Witte wrote:

> hmm, when I run the -gr combine- I get a very tall skinny combined
> graph, but the -grc1leg- does not do that for me.  It is like the
> ysize option is ignored, and doesn't return an error or anything.
>
> sorry about the path mess...

an edit to my previous post - a better example:

   .sysuse auto, clear
   .scatter price weight, yaxis(1) ///
        || scatter mpg weight, yaxis(2)  name(g1, replace)
   .scatter price displacement, yaxis(1) ///
        || scatter mpg displacement, yaxis(2) name(g2, replace)
   .grc1leg g1 g2, name(g3, replace)
   .graph display g3, xsize(10) ysize(5)

The workaround is the same.  The previous example, borrowed from the initial
question, was a poor one.  There was nothing common about the component graphs
in either graph's legend.

- Gary

Gary Longton wrote:

> Yes, I had run into the same problem in the past, but found a workaround.
>
> It appears that the xsize() and ysize() region_options are unrecognized
> by -grc1leg- due to the use of -graph combine, nodraw `name'-  and a
> subsequent -graph draw, `name'- in the .ado.
>
> The workaround I used was to save the combined graph generated with
> -grc1leg- using the -,name()- option, then to redraw it with the -graph
> display- command, including the desired xsize() ysize() settings there.
>
>   .sysuse auto, clear
>   .scatter price mpg, name(g1, replace)
>   .scatter weight length, name(g2, replace)
>   .grc1leg g1 g2, name(g3, replace)
>   .graph display g3, xsize(5) ysize(10)
>

> - Gary
>

> Chris Witte wrote:
>
>> I've ran into a problem using -grc1leg-, which puts a single legend on
>> a combined graph.  I am unable to use the -xsize- and -ysize- region
>> options, which are available when using -graph combine-.  here's an
>> example:
>>
>> sysuse auto, clear
>> scatter price mpg, name(g1)
>> scatter weight length, name(g2)
>> graph combine "C:\_DATA\g1" "C:\_DATA\g2", ysize(10)
>> grc1leg "C:\_DATA\g1" "C:\_DATA\g2", ysize(10)
>>
>> can anyone fix this?

RE: st: Re: grc1leg

Line for the server...

" When people do this, they are implicitly saying they
don't want any help from the many folks on Statalist who use a non-MS
operating system.)"

And even the windows users have to tweak those paths to their needs, so
paths should be avoided regardless of OS issues...

Unless I misunderstand your example (which the exchange below
suggests it may fail the Statalist FAQ dictum: "Say exactly what you
typed and exactly what Stata typed (or did) in response. N.B.
exactly!"), it looks to me that you are not using your named graphs
in your -graph combine- and -grc1leg- commands, but rather (old?)
versions you have saved to disk.  If so, this could yield
unanticipated results.

(As an aside:  why hard-code Windows-type paths into such a simple
example?  It is completely unnecessary, even if you are -saving()-
the graphs.  When people do this, they are implicitly saying they
don't want any help from the many folks on Statalist who use a non-MS
operating system.)

-- Mike

On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:21 PM, Chris Witte wrote:

> hmm, when I run the -gr combine- I get a very tall skinny combined
> graph, but the -grc1leg- does not do that for me.  It is like the
> ysize option is ignored, and doesn't return an error or anything.
>
> sorry about the path mess...

Mike,
I don't think you read my response to Martin.  I already appologized for the pathway screw up that Martin pointed out.  It was my original intent to remove the pathways from the code, but office distractions led me to overlook those lines in my example.  I also said that Stata did not return any kind of error message, and that it just ignores my -ysize- option.

Gary,
Thanks for your constructive advice.  I'll try to get -graph display- to work for me.

Unless I misunderstand your example (which the exchange below suggests it may fail the Statalist FAQ dictum: "Say exactly what you typed and exactly what Stata typed (or did) in response. N.B. exactly!"), it looks to me that you are not using your named graphs in your -graph combine- and -grc1leg- commands, but rather (old?) versions you have saved to disk.  If so, this could yield unanticipated results.

(As an aside:  why hard-code Windows-type paths into such a simple example?  It is completely unnecessary, even if you are -saving()- the graphs.  When people do this, they are implicitly saying they don't want any help from the many folks on Statalist who use a non-MS operating system.)

-- Mike

On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:21 PM, Chris Witte wrote:

> hmm, when I run the -gr combine- I get a very tall skinny combined graph, but the -grc1leg- does not do that for me.  It is like the ysize option is ignored, and doesn't return an error or anything.
>
> sorry about the path mess...

OS-crucial and OS-incidental [was: RE: st: Re: grc1leg]

Nick Cox
Without commenting on the detail here, it is perhaps useful to underline a generic point, which has long been prominent, or at the very least tacit, in the Statalist FAQ.

Whenever an example hinges on a OS-crucial detail, it is helpful to flag that prominently, so that people with ignorance of, aversion to, or prejudices about that OS can just take note and leave the question to the complementary subset. Putting a tag "(Windows only)" or "(Mac only)" or "(Linux only)" when relevant would be widely helpful.

Conversely, freeing your question of OS-incidental details just makes your question that much clearer, and that much likelier to get a good focused answer -- which after all is presumably what everyone wants.

Chris Witte

[...]

Chris:

I did read your response to Martin.  In fact, you'll note I quoted it
below.

But I suspect you do not understand my response.  The path name error
is a red herring.  The actual problem with your example is that you -
name()- the graphs, but then do not use the named graphs in your -
graph combine- or -grc1leg- commands.  Instead, you use saved graphs,
but your graph-generating commands do not contain the -saving()-
option.  In other words, even with "correct" paths (or no paths at
all), the example you provided is not self-contained, and cannot
possibly produce the problem you cite.

Why does this matter?  For starters, it implies that you have
executed other code outside of your example (such as previously
creating and saving versions of your graphs) that may be critical to
understanding why you are getting the undesired results you report,
error message or not.  As such it becomes awfully difficult for
anyone else to accurately troubleshoot your problem.  Hence my quoted
reminder from the Statalist FAQ.

Your follow-up message is puzzling to me, as the path (noted above)
and the lack of an error message are not relevant to the issues I
raised regarding your original question and the sample code you sent
to the list.  Moreover, to suggest that you're too busy in your
office to submit a complete example or to correct one that you know
is wrong -- to suggest that your time is more valuable than all those
who voluntarily provide suggestions on this list -- strikes me as an
odd attitude to have when you are the one seeking help....

I'm glad you were able to get an answer to your specific question
this time.  Perhaps you will recognize as constructive friendly
suggestions that increase the likelihood of others taking their time
to answer your future requests.

-- Mike

On Dec 2, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Chris Witte wrote:

> Mike,
> I don't think you read my response to Martin.  I already
> appologized for the pathway screw up that Martin pointed out.  It
> was my original intent to remove the pathways from the code, but
> office distractions led me to overlook those lines in my example.
> I also said that Stata did not return any kind of error message,
> and that it just ignores my -ysize- option.
>
> Gary,
> Thanks for your constructive advice.  I'll try to get -graph
> display- to work for me.

Re: st: Re: grc1leg

Chris Witte
Mike wrote "The path name error is a red herring.  The actual problem with your example is that you -name()- the graphs, but then do not use the named graphs in your -graph combine- or -grc1leg- commands."  That is the incorrect pathway reference that I meant to fix before I hit the send button.  I never said that I was too busy to fix the problem.  I said that I was distracted and missed correcting the problem.  Again, I screwed up and I apologize.

The lack of an error message regarding the -ysize- option when using -grc1leg- was relevant both to my problem I was describing, and your mention of needing to "Say exactly what you typed and exactly what Stata typed (or did) in response."  It would have been nice if I had received an error message saying something along the lines of "ysize option not allowed with grc1leg".  Instead, the code produced a graph with the default dimensions without any error warnings (ignoring the -ysize- option)... a bug that should be fixed, but easily circumvented by using -graph display-, as Gary suggested.

I assumed that initially, Martin fixed my pathway mistake, ran the code, didn't see an error message and didn't catch that the graph was not altered from the default aspect ratio, looked at the -grc1leg- help file, and then replied with his original response.  This further emphasizes the need for a warning message, and mention in the help file that you can't use ysize or xsize options (and maybe others).

All's well since it ended well,
[...]

Your follow-up message is puzzling to me, as the path (noted above) and the lack of an error message are not relevant to the issues I raised regarding your original question and the sample code you sent to the list.  Moreover, to suggest that you're too busy in your office to submit a complete example or to correct one that you know is wrong -- to suggest that your time is more valuable than all those who voluntarily provide suggestions on this list -- strikes me ass an odd attitude to have when you are the one seeking help....

*