Quantcast

st: axis title options

mk-6
Hello,
I am looking for what option to use in a twoway scatterplot (by sex) I
have produced where I would like the y-axis title to be horizontal and
placed on the right hand side of the axis in the plot region just above
my scatter points. I have tried angle and ring in the ytitle option but
haven't managed to obtain what I want.
Many thanks,
Miranda
PS: I am using Stata 11

st: AW: axis title options

I would do the horizontal thing in the code

*************
sysuse auto, clear
twoway (scatter weight price), ytitle(, orientation(horizontal))
*************

and then go into the Graph Editor and change the "Textbox properties" for
the y-title, Advanced Tab, Change the x-offset to 30 ( in this particular
case). You could record the action and -replay()- it later.

Re: st: AW: axis title options

mk-6
Thank you Martin and Nick for your responses,

I tried using the orientation sub-option but when producing graphs with
a by- option it didn't seem to register and kept it the default (vertical)
For example:
twoway (scatter weight price), by(foreign) ytitle("hello",
orientation(horizontal))
I am unsure where to put the text or subtitle option so it doesn't put
it in both graphs, as for example:
twoway (scatter weight price), by(foreign) text(5050 5050 "hello")

Miranda

Martin Weiss wrote:

> <>
>
> I would do the horizontal thing in the code
>
> *************
> sysuse auto, clear
> twoway (scatter weight price), ytitle(, orientation(horizontal))
> *************
>
> and then go into the Graph Editor and change the "Textbox properties" for
> the y-title, Advanced Tab, Change the x-offset to 30 ( in this particular
> case). You could record the action and -replay()- it later.

RE: st: AW: axis title options

Nick Cox
I see your problem.

twoway scatter weight price, by(foreign) ymla(3500 "hello", labsize(*2)
ang(h)) ytitle("")

is one kludge.

Miranda Kim

Martin Weiss wrote:

> I would do the horizontal thing in the code
>
> *************
> sysuse auto, clear
> twoway (scatter weight price), ytitle(, orientation(horizontal))
> *************
>
> and then go into the Graph Editor and change the "Textbox properties"
for
> the y-title, Advanced Tab, Change the x-offset to 30 ( in this
particular
> case). You could record the action and -replay()- it later.

Miranda Kim

> I am looking for what option to use in a twoway scatterplot (by sex) I

> have produced where I would like the y-axis title to be horizontal and

> placed on the right hand side of the axis in the plot region just
above
> my scatter points. I have tried angle and ring in the ytitle option
but
> haven't managed to obtain what I want.
> PS: I am using Stata 11

Re: st: AW: axis title options

mk-6
This puts it on the left of the axis with a tick mark. I would rather
have it on the right with no tick mark, any clues?
Many thanks for your help,
Miranda

Nick Cox wrote:

> I see your problem.
>
> twoway scatter weight price, by(foreign) ymla(3500 "hello", labsize(*2)
> ang(h)) ytitle("")
>
> is one kludge.
>
> Nick
> [hidden email]
>
> Miranda Kim
>
> Thank you Martin and Nick for your responses,
>
> I tried using the orientation sub-option but when producing graphs with
> a by- option it didn't seem to register and kept it the default
> (vertical)
> For example:
> twoway (scatter weight price), by(foreign) ytitle("hello",
> orientation(horizontal))
> I am unsure where to put the text or subtitle option so it doesn't put
> it in both graphs, as for example:
> twoway (scatter weight price), by(foreign) text(5050 5050 "hello")
>
> Martin Weiss wrote:
>

>> I would do the horizontal thing in the code
>>
>> *************
>> sysuse auto, clear
>> twoway (scatter weight price), ytitle(, orientation(horizontal))
>> *************
>>
>> and then go into the Graph Editor and change the "Textbox properties"
>>
> for
>
>> the y-title, Advanced Tab, Change the x-offset to 30 ( in this
>>
> particular
>
>> case). You could record the action and -replay()- it later.
>>

> Miranda Kim
>

>> I am looking for what option to use in a twoway scatterplot (by sex) I
>>

>> have produced where I would like the y-axis title to be horizontal and
>>

>> placed on the right hand side of the axis in the plot region just
>>
> above
>
>> my scatter points. I have tried angle and ring in the ytitle option
>>
> but
>
>> haven't managed to obtain what I want.
>> PS: I am using Stata 11

Re: st: AW: axis title options

Scott Merryman
sysuse auto
local a: variable label weight
scatter wei price,   by(fore, l("") r1(`a', orientation(horiz) placement(top)))

In -by()- graphs, there are no ytitles-, only positional titles: l, r, t, b.

Scott

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Miranda Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This puts it on the left of the axis with a tick mark. I would rather have
> it on the right with no tick mark, any clues?
> Many thanks for your help,
> Miranda

Re: st: AW: axis title options

mk-6
Thanks Scott,
This puts it on the right hand corner of the plot, whilst I would like
it next to the y-axis (since it is the axis title) but on the right hand
side of it (rather than the default which is left hand side), the
orientation now works, but I still can't get the positioning right.

Scott Merryman wrote:

> sysuse auto
> local a: variable label weight
> scatter wei price,   by(fore, l("") r1(`a', orientation(horiz) placement(top)))
>
> In -by()- graphs, there are no ytitles-, only positional titles: l, r, t, b.
>
> Scott
>

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Miranda Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This puts it on the left of the axis with a tick mark. I would rather have
>> it on the right with no tick mark, any clues?
>> Many thanks for your help,
>> Miranda

Re: st: AW: axis title options

Scott Merryman
Like this?

sysuse auto
local a: variable label weight
scatter wei price,   yscale(alt) ylabel(,angle(0)) ///
 by(fore, l("") r1(`a', orientation(horiz) placement(top) margin(t=+5)))

You might need to adjust the -margin()- to get the placement correct.

Scott

Re: st: AW: axis title options

mk-6
Thanks Scott,
I will try and play around with it more. I would prefer to keep my
y-axis as is the default (on the left), it is simply the placement of
the ytitle which I would like in the plot region as follows (supposing
the vertical line is my y-axis):

------------------------------------ x-axis

Scott Merryman wrote:

> Like this?
>
> sysuse auto
> local a: variable label weight
> scatter wei price,   yscale(alt) ylabel(,angle(0)) ///
>  by(fore, l("") r1(`a', orientation(horiz) placement(top) margin(t=+5)))
>
> You might need to adjust the -margin()- to get the placement correct.
>
> Scott

Re: st: AW: axis title options

Scott Merryman
Ok, I think I get it now.

Try this:

sysuse auto
local a: variable label weight
scatter wei price, by(fore, l("") l2(`a', orientation(horiz)
placement(top)  margin(t=+5 r=-35)))

Scott

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Miranda Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Scott,
> I will try and play around with it more. I would prefer to keep my y-axis as
> is the default (on the left), it is simply the placement of the ytitle which
> I would like in the plot region as follows (supposing the vertical line is
> my y-axis):
> |  Weight (lbs)
> |

> |              scatter plot region

Re: st: AW: axis title options