st: Video from multiple graph exports

12

st: Video from multiple graph exports

Dan Weitzenfeld
Hi Folks,
I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.
E.g., for t=0,1,...n, graphing the data at each t, and then using a
slide-show program to stack the graphs in time order, creating a
"movie" illustrating how the data changes over time.
My questions:

1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)

2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.

3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.

Thanks in advance,
-Dan

st: Re: Video from multiple graph exports

Martin Weiss-5
This thing made the rounds at the Milan UGM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVimVzgtD6w

Might wanna take it from there...

_______________________
> I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.
> E.g., for t=0,1,...n, graphing the data at each t, and then using a
> slide-show program to stack the graphs in time order, creating a
> "movie" illustrating how the data changes over time.
> My questions:
>
> 1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
> recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
> variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)
>
> 2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
> I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
> location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
> result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.
>
> 3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
> know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
> be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Dan

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Austin Nichols
Dan Weitzenfeld <[hidden email]>:

I haven't done this, and I am eagerly awaiting others' replies.  But I
now anticipate an additional entry in the Wishes and Grumbles at User
Group meetings... when is Stata going to offer 4D graphics?

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Dan Weitzenfeld
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Austin Nichols
Untested solutions available by googling "make animated gif from png"
(see also -help gr export-)

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Austin Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan Weitzenfeld <[hidden email]>:
>
> I haven't done this, and I am eagerly awaiting others' replies.  But I
> now anticipate an additional entry in the Wishes and Grumbles at User
> Group meetings... when is Stata going to offer 4D graphics?
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Dan Weitzenfeld
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>> I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.

Re: st: Re: Video from multiple graph exports

Jeph Herrin

In particular, head over to Google for their Motion Chart
gadget (Google bought Gapminder, this is their current
available version).

http://www.google.com/ig/directory?url=www.google.com/ig/modules/motionchart.xml

Martin Weiss wrote:

> This thing made the rounds at the Milan UGM:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVimVzgtD6w
>
> Might wanna take it from there...
>
> HTH
> Martin _______________________
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Weitzenfeld"
> <[hidden email]>

Michael Hanson
Dan:

I have done something like this for several presentations -- although
I typically prefer to use a remote to step through the "movie frames"
rather than automate the transitions.  That way I can stop and
comment on certain slides (the audience sees it as "freezing" the
animation), or go back to a specific slide to answer questions.

The caveat, given the details you have provided in your message:  my
process requires a Macintosh.  Specifically, it requires use of
Keynote, Apple's presentation software available only for Mac OS X.

Briefly, in three steps (though I am happy to provide details if
requested):
1. Export the Stata graphs as PDF format.  (A feature only available
in the Mac version, I believe.)
2. Place PDFs of graphs into individual slides in Keynote.
3. Add automatic timed transitions and effects as needed.  You can
set transition times on a per-slide basis, as you inquired.

This whole process is very easy with Keynote, as it provides fine
controls for aligning the graphs and professional transitions between
slides.  Plus, since everything is done with PDF, you don't get those
"jaggies" (i.e. pixelation) that often afflict graphics in
PowerPoint.  Additionally, with Keynote you can export your
presentation to QuickTime (.mov) or Flash (.swf) formats as a self-
running, cross-platform file if desired.

I suspect one could use LaTeX-based presentation tools (beamer?
powerdot? prosper?) to accomplish the same thing, albeit with (much)
more effort.

Hope this helps,
Mike

On Dec 3, 2008, at 2:49 PM, Dan Weitzenfeld wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.
> E.g., for t=0,1,...n, graphing the data at each t, and then using a
> slide-show program to stack the graphs in time order, creating a
> "movie" illustrating how the data changes over time.
> My questions:
>
> 1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
> recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
> variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)
>
> 2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
> I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
> location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
> result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.
>
> 3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
> know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
> be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Dan

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Airey, David C
I think ImageJ from NIH (National Institutes of Health) will make
movies from stacks.

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

But there are probably many other choices.

-Dave

On Dec 3, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Michael Hanson wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> 1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
>> recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
>> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
>> variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)
>>
>> 2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
>> I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
>> location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
>> result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.
>>
>> 3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
>> know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
>> be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> -Dan

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

"Export the Stata graphs as PDF format.  (A feature only available

In Windows, -gr export- as .eps and use !epstopdf from your MikTeX
distribution. Not much more effort than on the MAC...

_______________________
> I have done something like this for several presentations -- although  I
> typically prefer to use a remote to step through the "movie frames"
> rather than automate the transitions.  That way I can stop and  comment on
> certain slides (the audience sees it as "freezing" the  animation), or go
> back to a specific slide to answer questions.
>
> The caveat, given the details you have provided in your message:  my
> process requires a Macintosh.  Specifically, it requires use of  Keynote,
> Apple's presentation software available only for Mac OS X.
>
> Briefly, in three steps (though I am happy to provide details if
> requested):
> 1. Export the Stata graphs as PDF format.  (A feature only available  in
> the Mac version, I believe.)
> 2. Place PDFs of graphs into individual slides in Keynote.
> 3. Add automatic timed transitions and effects as needed.  You can  set
> transition times on a per-slide basis, as you inquired.
>
> This whole process is very easy with Keynote, as it provides fine
> controls for aligning the graphs and professional transitions between
> slides.  Plus, since everything is done with PDF, you don't get those
> "jaggies" (i.e. pixelation) that often afflict graphics in  PowerPoint.
> Additionally, with Keynote you can export your  presentation to QuickTime
> (.mov) or Flash (.swf) formats as a self- running, cross-platform file if
> desired.
>
> I suspect one could use LaTeX-based presentation tools (beamer?  powerdot?
> prosper?) to accomplish the same thing, albeit with (much)  more effort.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mike
>

> On Dec 3, 2008, at 2:49 PM, Dan Weitzenfeld wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>> I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.
>> E.g., for t=0,1,...n, graphing the data at each t, and then using a
>> slide-show program to stack the graphs in time order, creating a
>> "movie" illustrating how the data changes over time.
>> My questions:
>>
>> 1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
>> recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
>> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
>> variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)
>>
>> 2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
>> I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
>> location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
>> result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.
>>
>> 3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
>> know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
>> be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> -Dan

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Paula Lackie
Any Mac can "print to PDF" and there are a number of options for getting a PC to print to PDF. One reliable free version is "PDFCreator"

> I have done something like this for several presentations -- although  I
> typically prefer to use a remote to step through the "movie frames"
> rather than automate the transitions.  That way I can stop and  comment on
> certain slides (the audience sees it as "freezing" the  animation), or go
> back to a specific slide to answer questions.
>
> The caveat, given the details you have provided in your message:  my
> process requires a Macintosh.  Specifically, it requires use of  Keynote,
> Apple's presentation software available only for Mac OS X.
>
> Briefly, in three steps (though I am happy to provide details if
> requested):
> 1. Export the Stata graphs as PDF format.  (A feature only available  in
> the Mac version, I believe.)
> 2. Place PDFs of graphs into individual slides in Keynote.
> 3. Add automatic timed transitions and effects as needed.  You can  set
> transition times on a per-slide basis, as you inquired.
>
> This whole process is very easy with Keynote, as it provides fine
> controls for aligning the graphs and professional transitions between
> slides.  Plus, since everything is done with PDF, you don't get those
> "jaggies" (i.e. pixelation) that often afflict graphics in  PowerPoint.
> Additionally, with Keynote you can export your  presentation to QuickTime
> (.mov) or Flash (.swf) formats as a self- running, cross-platform file if
> desired.
>
> I suspect one could use LaTeX-based presentation tools (beamer?  powerdot?
> prosper?) to accomplish the same thing, albeit with (much)  more effort.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mike
>

> On Dec 3, 2008, at 2:49 PM, Dan Weitzenfeld wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>> I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.
>> E.g., for t=0,1,...n, graphing the data at each t, and then using a
>> slide-show program to stack the graphs in time order, creating a
>> "movie" illustrating how the data changes over time.
>> My questions:
>>
>> 1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
>> recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
>> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
>> variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)
>>
>> 2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
>> I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
>> location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
>> result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.
>>
>> 3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
>> know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
>> be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> -Dan

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Martin Weiss-5
Well, epstopdf is free as well and I know how to talk to it from inside
Stata. In contrast to ps2pdf, there are no white margins to take care of...

_______________________

On Dec 3, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> "Export the Stata graphs as PDF format.  (A feature only available
> in the Mac version, I believe.)"
>
> In Windows, -gr export- as .eps and use !epstopdf from your MikTeX
> distribution. Not much more effort than on the MAC...

Martin:

Fair enough.  My point was not to suggest that one OS was superior to
another, but simply to flag steps that may differ by OS.  My note was
meant to be consistent with Nick Cox's recent suggestion of
distinguishing OS-crucial from OS-incidental details.

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-12/msg00069.html>

However, based on my experience with colleagues and students who use
Stata, as well as on many years of reading and participating on
Statalist, I would venture to suggest that installing any TeX
distribution, and using any command line utility, is a significant
hurdle for a large number of users, regardless of platform.
Installing Acrobat Pro likely would be easier for most people, albeit
(significantly) more expensive.  Mac OS X has the ability to natively
create PDFs, and thus Stata on the Mac to natively export to PDF,
without extra software.  Perhaps this is possible natively in some
versions of Vista?

That said, I also tend to produce EPS files, as Stata gives finer
control over exporting in that format than in PDF, and then convert
to PDF either with Preview (Mac OS X's image editor) or with a
command line tool such as epstopdf, installed as part of MacTeX.

<http://www.tug.org/mactex/>

Germane to the original question, I understand (again from
colleagues) that PowerPoint 2003 does not import PDFs directly, but
converts them to a bitmapped format, thus losing their vector-based
scalability and introducing "jaggies".  Does PowerPoint 2007 still
have this limitation?

Hope this helps,
Mike

P.S.  "MAC" is a TLA (three-letter acronym) for "media access
control" -- your PC has a MAC address, as does my Mac (abbreviation
for Macintosh).

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address>

> _______________________
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Hanson" <[hidden email]>

Since epstopdf is available for the same three platforms as Stata
(i.e., Mac, Unix, Windows), perhaps a few examples showing how you
"talk to it from inside Stata" would be of general interest.  Indeed,
without stepping on the feet of the Stata Journal editors, I think
this would be a good topic for a Stata Tip in an upcoming issue of
the SJ.

-- Mike

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> Well, epstopdf is free as well and I know how to talk to it from
> inside Stata. In contrast to ps2pdf, there are no white margins to
> take care of...

> _______________________
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paula Lackie"
> <[hidden email]>

Not too much magic there. What I meant was: I would not know how to tell
Acrobat  or other suggested PDF-makers to just turn my graph into a pdf
file. Most of the other utilities are installed as printers, so that would
complicate matters for me...

sysuse auto, clear
sc mpg wei
cap erase mygr.eps
cap erase mygr.pdf
gr export mygr.eps
!epstopdf mygr.eps
!start mygr.pdf

_______________________
> Since epstopdf is available for the same three platforms as Stata  (i.e.,
> Mac, Unix, Windows), perhaps a few examples showing how you  "talk to it
> from inside Stata" would be of general interest.  Indeed,  without
> stepping on the feet of the Stata Journal editors, I think  this would be
> a good topic for a Stata Tip in an upcoming issue of  the SJ.
>
> -- Mike
>
> On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:
>
>> Well, epstopdf is free as well and I know how to talk to it from  inside
>> Stata. In contrast to ps2pdf, there are no white margins to  take care
>> of...
>>
>> HTH
>> Martin
>> _______________________
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paula Lackie"  <[hidden email]>

>>> Martin
>>> _______________________
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Hanson"  <[hidden email]>

Sergiy Radyakin
Hi!

I've done videos like that. Once you have all your frames in .png
files, select all of them, drag and drop to the Windows MovieMaker,
there check that they are in the proper sequence, and place them into
the timeline. You can adjust the delay interval individually for each
file or for the whole sequence. You can add a soundtrack right away.
Then save as a video file (wmv).
Example available.

Alternatively, many viewers support command line activated slide show
mode, for Windows platform, check free IrfanView, which is an
excellent Viewer/Converter. I don't think you will have a lot of
control though, e.g. setting individual delays for each file.
http://www.irfanview.com/
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/graphics/irfantut/commopti.html

As for Q2, Stata does not support JPG files for any purpose and you
should not either. JPG is a format for digital photography, for
noise-rich analog-to-digital conversion (via scanner of digital
camera) from the real world to the world of computers. For images
generated inside your computer, use one of the lossless formats, like
png. Why don't you export your data to shp format from Stata and plot
in a GIS package?

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.
> E.g., for t=0,1,...n, graphing the data at each t, and then using a
> slide-show program to stack the graphs in time order, creating a
> "movie" illustrating how the data changes over time.
> My questions:
>
> 1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
> recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
> variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)
>
> 2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
> I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
> location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
> result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.
>
> 3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
> know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
> be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Dan

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Dan Weitzenfeld
Thanks for suggestions, all.  I am playing around with ImageJ, and
will try MovieMaker.

Sergiy,

Basically I'm trying to overlay a graph on top of an image - the image
can be .jpg, .png, etc.  To give you a concrete example, one type of
data I work with is eye-tracking data, so I would like to - within
Stata - generate a graph in which the image/stimuli is the background.

The shp -> GIS package is an interesting idea, but it feels like
overkill because (with the help of -spmap-) Stata will do everything I
need except for putting a graph on top of an image.  I'll definitely
look into it, though.  Has anyone written a program that converts
-spmap- files (e.g. Basemap files) to .shp?

-Dan

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Sergiy Radyakin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've done videos like that. Once you have all your frames in .png
> files, select all of them, drag and drop to the Windows MovieMaker,
> there check that they are in the proper sequence, and place them into
> the timeline. You can adjust the delay interval individually for each
> file or for the whole sequence. You can add a soundtrack right away.
> Then save as a video file (wmv).
> Example available.
>
> Alternatively, many viewers support command line activated slide show
> mode, for Windows platform, check free IrfanView, which is an
> excellent Viewer/Converter. I don't think you will have a lot of
> control though, e.g. setting individual delays for each file.
> http://www.irfanview.com/
> http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/graphics/irfantut/commopti.html
>
> As for Q2, Stata does not support JPG files for any purpose and you
> should not either. JPG is a format for digital photography, for
> noise-rich analog-to-digital conversion (via scanner of digital
> camera) from the real world to the world of computers. For images
> generated inside your computer, use one of the lossless formats, like
> png. Why don't you export your data to shp format from Stata and plot
> in a GIS package?
>
> Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin
>

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Dan Weitzenfeld
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>> I'm considering making a movie using multiple Stata graphs, exported.
>> E.g., for t=0,1,...n, graphing the data at each t, and then using a
>> slide-show program to stack the graphs in time order, creating a
>> "movie" illustrating how the data changes over time.
>> My questions:
>>
>> 1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
>> recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
>> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
>> variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)
>>
>> 2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
>> I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
>> location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
>> result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.
>>
>> 3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
>> know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
>> be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> -Dan

Dan Weitzenfeld
Media Analyst
EmSense Corporation
512 2nd Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107
w: 415.418.7314
m: 510.552.0106

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Dan Weitzenfeld
I think I'm barking up the wrong tree.  I found, in a previous
statalist discussion, "At the moment Stata
does not allow a level of transparency in the graphics engine."  It
seems that transparency support would be necessary for overlaying a
graph on top of an image. Indeed, when I try exporting .pngs with
regions having "zero" fill, the resulting file is still opaque.

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Dan Weitzenfeld
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> slide-show program to stack the graphs in time order, creating a
>>> "movie" illustrating how the data changes over time.
>>> My questions:
>>>
>>> 1.  Has anyone does this before, and if so, do you have
>>> recommendations for the most flexible slide-show program?
>>> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a program that will allow for
>>> variable intervals between slides (e.g., t=0, 1.5, 2, 2.2,....)
>>>
>>> 2.  Is there a way to overlay a Stata graph on top of a .jpg file?
>>> I've been doing this manually, using -spmap- to plot my
>>> location-oriented data, exporting graphs as .emf/.wmf, ungrouping the
>>> result in PowerPoint and aligning the .jpg overlay.
>>>
>>> 3.  Am I trying to use Stata to do something it's not suited for?  I
>>> know JMP can play movies from data, but I don't think the movies can
>>> be exported, and, well, I'm partial to Stata.

Dan Weitzenfeld
Media Analyst
EmSense Corporation
512 2nd Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107
w: 415.418.7314
m: 510.552.0106

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Michael Hanson
Dan:

At the risk of beating a dead horse, and recognizing that you may not
have access to a Mac, Keynote (akin to PowerPoint, but available for
Mac OS X only) not only allows complete control over the opacity of
imported images, but one can even program it to change the opacity of
images dynamically as part of a presentation.  I have done this with
graphs generated from Stata in presentations of my own.  For what
it's worth, I believe everything you have described that you want to
do can be accomplished in Keynote.

I won't bore the rest of the list with details as this is relatively
off-topic for Statalist, but feel free to contact me directly should
you wish to discuss further.

Hope this helps,
Mike

On Dec 3, 2008, at 7:48 PM, Dan Weitzenfeld wrote:

> [...]
>>>>
>>> *
>>> *   For searches and help try:
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>>

>> --
>> Dan Weitzenfeld
>> Media Analyst
>> EmSense Corporation
>> 512 2nd Street, 3rd Floor
>> San Francisco, CA 94107
>> w: 415.418.7314
>> m: 510.552.0106
>> [hidden email]
>>

> --
> Dan Weitzenfeld
> Media Analyst
> EmSense Corporation
> 512 2nd Street, 3rd Floor
> San Francisco, CA 94107
> w: 415.418.7314
> m: 510.552.0106

Re: st: Video from multiple graph exports

I see.  I had misinterpreted your earlier response to suggest that
you had done something more fancy, but I suspect for some users these
represent useful ideas to get started.  I could imagine extending
this to examples such as integrating automatic PDF generation into an
ado file, passing options to epstopdf via Stata, and/or engaging in
batch processing of files from within Stata.

For my own curiosity, is the "start" command standard in the Windows
equivalent of a shell?  (I'm so used to working with Unix-based OSs,
I'm not even sure if "shell" is the right word here.)  Does it simply
launch the program associated with the file extension of the listed
file -- in this case some pre-specified PDF reader?

Thanks,
Mike

On Dec 3, 2008, at 6:15 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> Not too much magic there. What I meant was: I would not know how to
> tell Acrobat  or other suggested PDF-makers to just turn my graph
> into a pdf file. Most of the other utilities are installed as
> printers, so that would complicate matters for me...
>
> sysuse auto, clear
> sc mpg wei
> cap erase mygr.eps
> cap erase mygr.pdf
> gr export mygr.eps
> !epstopdf mygr.eps
> !start mygr.pdf

> _______________________
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Hanson" <[hidden email]>

>>> Martin
>>> _______________________
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paula Lackie"
>>> <[hidden email]>

David Elliott
Irfanview, mentioned previously, can do batch conversion of pngs
allowing you to "set transparent colour".  Unfortunately, the graphic
conversion does antialiasing of the text which gives dirty looking
halos around letters against darker backgrounds.

DCE
David Elliott MD, MSc
Nova Scotia Dept. of Health

RE: st: Video from multiple graph exports

Line for the server...

Michael: "!start mygr.pdf" gives you the same sequence of events as "!
mygr.pdf", but does not leave the "Command Prompt" window open. Of course I
learned this from Sergiy back in the day:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-05/msg01159.html

I see.  I had misinterpreted your earlier response to suggest that
you had done something more fancy, but I suspect for some users these
represent useful ideas to get started.  I could imagine extending
this to examples such as integrating automatic PDF generation into an
ado file, passing options to epstopdf via Stata, and/or engaging in
batch processing of files from within Stata.

For my own curiosity, is the "start" command standard in the Windows
equivalent of a shell?  (I'm so used to working with Unix-based OSs,
I'm not even sure if "shell" is the right word here.)  Does it simply
launch the program associated with the file extension of the listed
file -- in this case some pre-specified PDF reader?

Thanks,
Mike

On Dec 3, 2008, at 6:15 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> Not too much magic there. What I meant was: I would not know how to
> tell Acrobat  or other suggested PDF-makers to just turn my graph
> into a pdf file. Most of the other utilities are installed as
> printers, so that would complicate matters for me...
>
> sysuse auto, clear
> sc mpg wei
> cap erase mygr.eps
> cap erase mygr.pdf