st: SBIR grants at Stata?

Airey, David C
I noticed Yulia's work at Stata Corp was funded by NIH. How many SBIR
grants does Stata Corp have? Is this common at Stata. I thought it was
very interesting to say the least.

-Dave

st: RE: SBIR grants at Stata?

Nick Cox
This is for StataCorp to answer. (Not "Stata Corp".)

But many readers, especially those outside the United States, will want
an explanation -- Small Business Innovation Research -- and a URL
www.sbir.gov.

And perhaps another explanation: NIH = (U.S.) National Institutes of
Health and another URL www.nih.gov.

Please remember the list is global -- geographically and in terms of
members' interests.

David Airey

I noticed Yulia's work at Stata Corp was funded by NIH. How many SBIR
grants does Stata Corp have? Is this common at Stata. I thought it was
very interesting to say the least.

Re: st: RE: SBIR grants at Stata?

Airey, David C
Thanks for filling in the blanks.

-Dave

On Dec 3, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Nick Cox wrote:

> This is for StataCorp to answer. (Not "Stata Corp".)
>
> But many readers, especially those outside the United States, will
> want
> an explanation -- Small Business Innovation Research -- and a URL
> www.sbir.gov.
>
> And perhaps another explanation: NIH = (U.S.) National Institutes of
> Health and another URL www.nih.gov.
>
> Please remember the list is global -- geographically and in terms of
> members' interests.
>
> Nick
> [hidden email]
>
> David Airey
>
> I noticed Yulia's work at Stata Corp was funded by NIH. How many SBIR
> grants does Stata Corp have? Is this common at Stata. I thought it was
> very interesting to say the least.

st: Re: RE: SBIR grants at Stata?

Sorry for being negative about this thread, but if there is one issue that I
could not care less about, it is the number of grants to StataCorp. David
did not specify what it is that stirs his interest there, but maybe he will
elaborate...

_______________________
> This is for StataCorp to answer. (Not "Stata Corp".)
>
> But many readers, especially those outside the United States, will want
> an explanation -- Small Business Innovation Research -- and a URL
> www.sbir.gov.
>
> And perhaps another explanation: NIH = (U.S.) National Institutes of
> Health and another URL www.nih.gov.
>
> Please remember the list is global -- geographically and in terms of
> members' interests.
>
> Nick
> [hidden email]
>
> David Airey
>
> I noticed Yulia's work at Stata Corp was funded by NIH. How many SBIR
> grants does Stata Corp have? Is this common at Stata. I thought it was
> very interesting to say the least.

Re: st: Re: RE: SBIR grants at Stata?

Airey, David C
I'm installed at a medical school, and we survive on NIH funding. So
it's common ground. It means StataCorp is very serious about
biostatistics and being creative in applications within this discipline.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:37 PM, "Martin Weiss" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for being negative about this thread, but if there is one
> issue that I could not care less about, it is the number of grants
> to StataCorp. David did not specify what it is that stirs his
> interest there, but maybe he will elaborate...

> _______________________
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[hidden email]>

I see 4 NIH grants since 2003 to Stata in the CRISP database (2 to
Drukker, 2 to Gutierrez). One SBIR grant went to creating StataMP!

-Dave

On Dec 3, 2008, at 7:13 PM, David Airey wrote:

> I'm installed at a medical school, and we survive on NIH funding. So
> it's common ground. It means StataCorp is very serious about
> biostatistics and being creative in applications within this
> discipline.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:37 PM, "Martin Weiss" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for being negative about this thread, but if there is one
>> issue that I could not care less about, it is the number of grants
>> to StataCorp. David did not specify what it is that stirs his
>> interest there, but maybe he will elaborate...
>>
>> HTH
>> Martin
>> _______________________
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[hidden email]>

Stas Kolenikov
SBIRs are a common vehicle for small software developers (and Stata is
small... at least compared to SAS). And if not for that money,
StataCorp would have to either charge more per license or have fewer
features developed. So that's at least somewhat important information.

And yes, a lot of biostatisticians in the US has majority (sometimes
80% or 90%) of their funding from grants. Expansions or contractions
of the federal US grant funding are the biggest pieces of news for
people in those positions...

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:13 PM, David Airey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm installed at a medical school, and we survive on NIH funding. So it's
> common ground. It means StataCorp is very serious about biostatistics and
> being creative in applications within this discipline.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:37 PM, "Martin Weiss" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for being negative about this thread, but if there is one issue that
>> I could not care less about, it is the number of grants to StataCorp. David
>> did not specify what it is that stirs his interest there, but maybe he will
>> elaborate...
>>
>> HTH
>> Martin
>> _______________________
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[hidden email]>

Joseph Coveney
Stas Kolenikov wrote (excerpted):

SBIRs are a common vehicle for small software developers (and Stata is
small... at least compared to SAS).

SAS is no exception.  It apparently got its start completely funded by
incubator grants:

http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0305d&L=sas-l&P=18404

Joseph Coveney

RE: st: Re: RE: SBIR grants at Stata?

Verkuilen, Jay
"Stas Kolenikov" wrote:

>And yes, a lot of biostatisticians in the US has majority (sometimes
80% or 90%) of their funding from grants. Expansions or contractions
of the federal US grant funding are the biggest pieces of news for
people in those positions...>

It's not just biostats. A friend from grad school is a numerical analysis guy at Sandia---they're waiting with bated breath to know who the next SecEnergy and various staff will be.... (Baited breath is for fish.)

Ditto for other areas. I am on hard money but things like software purchases often depend on soft money, so knowing that StataCorp depends on it to some extent too is useful info. StataMP seems like a worthwhile product for grant money.