st: Removing the Stata logo from graphs in LaTeX documents

st: Removing the Stata logo from graphs in LaTeX documents

Clive Nicholas
Stata 9.2, Windows XP

About a month ago, StataCorp (privately) very helpfully provided this solution

. graph export foo.ps, pagesize(a4)

for successfully outputting graphics into my A4-size LaTeX documents.
I noticed, however, that all of my subsequent graphs had a Stata logo
tabbed at the bottom. I consider this to be a very nice feature, but
how can I remove it if I don't want it? I managed to do this before,
albeit a long time ago, but now haven't a clue how I did it!

(I did ask Mr and Mrs StataCorp about this, but curiously they didn't answer!)

--
Clive Nicholas

<[hidden email]>. Please respond to contributions I make in
a list thread here. Thanks!]

methodology. I prefer to call it style." -- Freeman J. Dyson.

st: RE: Removing the Stata logo from graphs in LaTeX documents

Martin Weiss-5
Line for the server...

***********
-help pr_options-
***********

In Stata 10...

Re: st: Removing the Stata logo from graphs in LaTeX documents

René Geppert
you can alternatively export as eps which is better when including in a
LaTeX document anyways

regards

Clive Nicholas schrieb:

> Stata 9.2, Windows XP
>
> About a month ago, StataCorp (privately) very helpfully provided this solution
>
> . graph export foo.ps, pagesize(a4)
>
> for successfully outputting graphics into my A4-size LaTeX documents.
> I noticed, however, that all of my subsequent graphs had a Stata logo
> tabbed at the bottom. I consider this to be a very nice feature, but
> how can I remove it if I don't want it? I managed to do this before,
> albeit a long time ago, but now haven't a clue how I did it!
>
> (I did ask Mr and Mrs StataCorp about this, but curiously they didn't answer!)

RE: st: Removing the Stata logo from graphs in LaTeX documents

Martin Weiss-5
Line for the server...

Should have been - help ps_options- in my initial reply...

Clive Nicholas schrieb:
> Stata 9.2, Windows XP
>
> About a month ago, StataCorp (privately) very helpfully provided this
solution

> . graph export foo.ps, pagesize(a4)
>
> for successfully outputting graphics into my A4-size LaTeX documents.
> I noticed, however, that all of my subsequent graphs had a Stata logo
> tabbed at the bottom. I consider this to be a very nice feature, but
> how can I remove it if I don't want it? I managed to do this before,
> albeit a long time ago, but now haven't a clue how I did it!
>
> (I did ask Mr and Mrs StataCorp about this, but curiously they didn't
answer!)

Re: st: Removing the Stata logo from graphs in LaTeX documents

Michael Hanson
On Dec 9, 2008, at 3:08 AM, Clive Nicholas wrote:

> I noticed, however, that all of my subsequent graphs had a Stata logo
> tabbed at the bottom. I consider this to be a very nice feature, but
> how can I remove it if I don't want it? I managed to do this before,
> albeit a long time ago, but now haven't a clue how I did it!

For PostScript output of graphs:

. graph set ps logo off

But, as René recommended, with LaTeX you are likely better off using
Encapsulated PostScript:

. graph set eps logo off

Even better might be to use pdfLaTeX, and convert that EPS file to
PDF first.  This was discussed on the list last week:

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-12/msg00179.html>

HTH,
Mike

Re: st: Removing the Stata logo from graphs in LaTeX documents

Clive Nicholas
René Geppert replied:

> you can alternatively export as eps which is better when including in a
> LaTeX document anyways

That's very interesting, because my Stata 9.2 returns the following:

. sysuse auto

. graph set eps logo off

. graph set ps logo off

. twoway scatter price mpg

. graph export test.eps, pagesize(a4)
option pagesize() not allowed
r(198);

. graph export test.ps, pagesize(a4)
(file test.ps written in PostScript format)

StataCorp advised me to use the latter code rather than the former,
and perhaps this is why. In any case, after exporting the graph as .ps
file, it's only a very short step to open up the graph to view it in
the freeware GSView program, click on "File", then "PS to EPS", ensure
that the 'Automatically calculate Bounding Box' is ticked, click the
"Yes" button, and then you're ready to include the graph in your LaTeX
document. That worked for me, and so did Michael Hanson's very helpful
-graph set- solution; thanks to him, I can now remove the Stata logo
when it pleases me.

Thanks very much!