st: Re: video from multiple graph exports

st: Re: video from multiple graph exports

Christopher F Baum
< >
Certainly not true for Mac OS X! The LaTeX distribution install
associated with TeXShop is a one-click task that works as simply as
any other installer. And the benefits of being able to use beamer for
presentations, rather than PowerPoint (which is both expensive and
clumsy with maths) are overwhelming, particularly with excellent
integration with popular tools like -estout-, -outreg2-, -tabout- etc.
(all on SSC). The myth that LaTeX is just too hard for most people to
deal with is just that. Ask Dr Ben Dwamena of UMich, who presented a
beautiful beamer-based presentation in San Francisco after asking me
how beamer worked a year ago after admiring all the beamer
presentations at NASUG Boston.

I believe the majority of presentations at the San Francisco user
meetings were beamer-based. A biased sample, perhaps, but it would
tend to suggest that working with LaTeX is not too hard for people
from many disciplines (not to mention everyone from StataCorp!)

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

On Dec 4, 2008, at 02:33 , Michael wrote:

>  I would venture to suggest that installing any TeX
> distribution, and using any command line utility, is a significant
> hurdle for a large number of users, regardless of platform.

Re: st: Re: video from multiple graph exports

Neil Shephard
I second Kit's support for the ease of installation and use of LaTeX
(although I use prosper for presentations rather than beamer).

Installation on any OS is simple as you can grab a live CD from
http://www.texlive.org/ (and MikTeX mentioned in the thread is a bit
dated now anyway).  Installation under *NIX systems will depend on the
type your on, but most GNU/Linux distros have TexLive in their package
repositories.

Its a shame a significant proportion of the world still focus on style
over content as its far easier when the two are handled separately.

On the original problem one solution could be to generate a series of
.jpg's or .png's and the compile them into an animated GIF for embedding
in whatever presentation software you are using.  How you do this will
depend on your OS, but you can (according to a few Google searches) use
The GIMP (http://www.thegimp.org/) which is available cross-platforms to
do this, and I've used command-line tools under GNU/Linux to achieve this.

Neil

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

This  message  may  contain  confidential and  privileged  information.
If you  are not the  intended recipient  you should not  disclose, copy
or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on its contents.  To do so is strictly  prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please  inform  the  sender that  this  message has  gone astray before
deleting it.  Thank you.

2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the NHS.  It's an opportunity to pay
tribute to the NHS staff and volunteers who help shape the service, and
celebrate their achievements.

If you work for the NHS  and  would like  an NHSmail  email account, go
to: www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail