Quantcast

st: Re: STATA heteroscedasticity test

Christopher F Baum
<>
I am not aware of any test specifically for xtreg, re, but you could
certainly use robvar to test for groupwise heteroskedasticity:

webuse grunfeld
xtreg invest mvalue kstock
predict double eps, e
robvar eps, by(company)

Please see http://ideas.repec.org/a/tsj/stataj/v6y2006i4p590-592.html
for details.

With regard to collinearity, as the regressors do not change when
using fe vs. re vs. OLS, you could use any collinearity diagnostics
from pooled OLS to consider this. The one thing they would not pick up
is potential collinearity between the Xs and the dummy variables
implicit in the within transformation. High pairwise correlations
imply collinearity, but not vice versa. I would recommand considering
variance inflation factors (estat vif) for this purpose.

It is a good idea to address questions like this to Statalist, where I
and many others knowledgeable in the subject may answer.

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics and DIW Berlin   |   http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
An Introduction to Stata Programming   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/imeus.html

On Mar 16, 2009, at 08:16 , Svetlana Jefimova wrote:

> Dear Mr F Baum,
> We are Svetlana Jefimova and Irina Beinarovica and we are writing to
> You from Stockholm School of Economics in Riga (Latvia). We are
> writing a bachelor thesis on the topic of FDI into Turkey. We are
> researching the determinants affecting FDI inflow using gravity
> model. Consequently, our approach is very similar to the work of
> Ludo Cuyvers, Joseph Plasmans, Reth Soeng & Daniël Van den Bulcke
> "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Cambodia: Country-
> Specific Factor Differentials", whom You advised on some STATA
> commands. Therefore, we would like to ask for Your advice on several
> issues on STATA commands for random effects model.
> 1) Is there any test for heteroscedasticity in the random effects
> model? Wald statistics seems applicable just for fixed effects or
> can be applicable as well?
> 2) Is there any test for multicollinearity in random effects model?
> Or just "corr" is enough?
>
> We would really appreciate Your help, as we do not know whom else to
> approach!
> Best reagrds,
> Irina and Svetlana

st: Re: STATA heteroscedasticity test

Christopher F Baum
Well, -help xtreg- shows that you can use a robust or cluster-robust
VCE with the RE estimator. Given that -robvar- identifies groupwise
heteroskedasticity, it would be most sensible to use a cluster-robust
VCE with the panel variable as the clustering variable.