st: Invoking R from Stata

Ljubica Nedelkoska
Dear Statlist members,

I would like to run a file written in R program from a Stata do file. I would
appreciate if somebody helps me how to invoke R from Stata.

Many thanks!

Ljubica

Ljubica Nedelkoska
PhD student
Research group: "Economics of Innovative Change"
Friedrich Schiller Universität-Jena
+49(0)3641 (9) 43 272

This mail was sent through http://webmail.uni-jena.de

st: RE: Invoking R from Stata

Martin Weiss-5

Line for the server...

***********
ssc d rsource
***********

st: RE: Invoking R from Stata

Line for the server...

Also note http://www.stata.com/meeting/4german/shikano_StataMeeting2006.pdf

Re: st: RE: Invoking R from Stata

Orvalho Augusto
Run from stata:
! /path/to/R.exe /path/to/rscriptfile

! means to invoke a shel command.

Caveman

On 12/1/08, Martin Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Line for the server...
>
> ***********
> ssc d rsource
> ***********

That is exactly what -rsource- does, but it also takes care of logging...

On 12/1/08, Martin Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Line for the server...
>
> ***********
> ssc d rsource
> ***********

Airey, David C
Has anyone used _rsource_ with the Apple OS X operating system?

-Dave

On Dec 1, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> Line for the server...
>
> That is exactly what -rsource- does, but it also takes care of
> logging...

Christopher F Baum
< >
Dave asked

Has anyone used _rsource_ with the Apple OS X operating system?

He is referring to Roger Newson's -rsource- package on SSC.

I just tried it under Mac OS X 10.5 and it works fine. In Stata, do

global Rterm_path "/usr/bin/r"
global Rterm_options `"--vanilla"'

Then if we have a file test.R containing

-----
2+2
q()
-----

. rsource using test.R
Assumed R program path: "/usr/bin/r"

Beginning of R output from source file: test.R

R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

   Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

 > 2+2
[1] 4
 > q()

End of R output from source file: test.R

No doubt by changing the Rterm_options you can alter the way in which
it produces output.  Note that under *nix there is no separate
executable Rterm; it is just  the binary executable r. When you
install R on Mac OS X, you get R.app, which is the executable that
provides the GUI, but under the hood it calls /usr/bin/r.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

Re: st: re: invoking R from Stata

Michael Hanson
On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:08 PM, Kit Baum wrote:

> No doubt by changing the Rterm_options you can alter the way in
> which it produces output.  Note that under *nix there is no
> separate executable Rterm; it is just the binary executable r. When
> you install R on Mac OS X, you get R.app, which is the executable
> that provides the GUI, but under the hood it calls /usr/bin/r.

Thanks, Kit:  that is useful information that I was not aware of.
Indeed, the help for R.app version 2.7.2 [1] suggests the following:

"To use R you probably need to add a symbolic link on your system as
the R binary is located inside the framework. Suppose you have the /
usr/local/bin directory on your system (if you do not have one, you
can use /usr/bin instead) you should just type in your Terminal (a
root password is required)

      sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/R /usr/
local/bin/R
Assuming that you have /usr/local/bin in your PATH environment
variable, you will be able to launch R from any location on your
system just by typing R."

-- Mike

[1] I have not updated to version 2.8.0 due to some time series
routines that do not yet execute properly with version 2.8.0.

Re: st: RE: Invoking R from Stata

Michael Hanson
While I'm on the topic of platform independence....

I noticed from -help rsource- that the "Rterm_path" global macro of
Roger Newson's -rsource- procedure defaults to a value of
"Rterm.exe".  In light of Kit Baum's response to David Airey (quoted
below), it seems that a more robust solution would be to replace
lines 30-32 of rsource.ado:

   if `"`rpath'"'=="" {;
     local rpath "Rterm.exe";
   };

with the following:

   if `"`rpath'"'=="" {;
     if c(os) == "Windows" {;
       local rpath "Rterm.exe";
     };
     else {;
       local rpath "/usr/bin/r";
     };
   };

If I understand Kit's message correctly, the latter executable path
is valid for any Unix-based installation of R (including R.app on Mac
OS X).

Hope this helps,
Mike

On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:29 PM, David Airey wrote:

> Has anyone used _rsource_ with the Apple OS X operating system?
>
> -Dave
>
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:
>
>> Line for the server...
>>
>> That is exactly what -rsource- does, but it also takes care of
>> logging...
>>
>> HTH
>> Martin

Works for me. Thanks Kit and Mike.

-Dave

On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:45 PM, Michael Hanson wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> End of R output from source file: test.R
>>>

>>> No doubt by changing the Rterm_options you can alter the way in
>>> which it produces output.  Note that under *nix there is no
>>> separate executable Rterm; it is just  the binary executable r.
>>> When you install R on Mac OS X, you get R.app, which is the
>>> executable that provides the GUI, but under the hood it calls /usr/
>>> bin/r.
>>>
>>> Kit Baum, Boston College Economics and DIW Berlin
>>> http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
>>> An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata:
>>> http://www.stata-press.com/books/imeus.html
>>>

> On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:29 PM, David Airey wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used _rsource_ with the Apple OS X operating system?
>>
>> -Dave
>>
>> On Dec 1, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:
>>
>>> Line for the server...
>>>
>>> That is exactly what -rsource- does, but it also takes care of

Michael said

[...]

I do have a symlink (ln -s) from a file within the R.app package to /
usr/bin/r. I don't recall having made that link myself, and it is
dated the same date as the directory R.app (yes, OS X .apps are really
directories---as is Stata.app), so I imagine the R installer probably
created the symlink (with my permission, as it is owned by root). It
would be sensible for Roger N. to do something like

local rpath = cond(c(os) == "Windows", "Rterm.exe", "/usr/bin/r")

to make his routine platform-independent.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html