Quantcast

st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

Christian Bustamante
Hi Statalisters,

I have a very unbalanced panel data set, composed for a lot of panel
and 12 years. I'm interested in "balance" this panel, keeping only the
panel tha have information for a set of variables in all the period.
How can I do that?

Thanks

--
CdeB

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

Philipp Rehm
.

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/panel.html

HTH,
Philipp

Christian Bustamante wrote:
> Hi Statalisters,
>
> I have a very unbalanced panel data set, composed for a lot of panel
> and 12 years. I'm interested in "balance" this panel, keeping only the
> panel tha have information for a set of variables in all the period.
> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

Christian Bustamante
Hi and thanks for your response. That's not what I'm looking for. I
will be more explicit.
Supose the folliwing data set with each row represents a panel
observations for a variable:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
. . 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 2 3 . 5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .
1 2 3 4 5 . . .

I want to keep only the observations like the first one and drop the others.

Bests

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Philipp Rehm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> .
>
> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/panel.html
>
> HTH,
> Philipp
>
> Christian Bustamante wrote:
>>
>> Hi Statalisters,
>>
>> I have a very unbalanced panel data set, composed for a lot of panel
>> and 12 years. I'm interested in "balance" this panel, keeping only the
>> panel tha have information for a set of variables in all the period.
>> How can I do that?
>>
>> Thanks

CdeB

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

Philipp Rehm
.
Nick Cox's -dropmiss- may be useful. You may want to check out -findit
dropmiss-

It seems your panel data-set is in wide format. For most purposes,
that's very inconvenient, at best. You may want to -reshape- your
data-set to long format.

HTH,
Philipp

Christian Bustamante wrote:

> Hi and thanks for your response. That's not what I'm looking for. I
> will be more explicit.
> Supose the folliwing data set with each row represents a panel
> observations for a variable:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
> . . 3 4 5 6 7 8
> 1 2 3 . 5 6 7 8
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .
> 1 2 3 4 5 . . .
>
> I want to keep only the observations like the first one and drop the others.
>
> Bests
>

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Philipp Rehm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> .
>>
>> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/panel.html
>>
>> HTH,
>> Philipp
>>
>> Christian Bustamante wrote:
>>> Hi Statalisters,
>>>
>>> I have a very unbalanced panel data set, composed for a lot of panel
>>> and 12 years. I'm interested in "balance" this panel, keeping only the
>>> panel tha have information for a set of variables in all the period.
>>> How can I do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

Christian Bustamante
That's solve the problem if the data set has all years for all panels,
but it isn't. The data set is about firm's financial information, thus
the firms that not reported information before 2000 (for example)
doen't have a time period associated to it's id. The same occur with
firms that have information since the begining of panel, but in 2003
there isn't data an then a row with 2003 in the year variable for this
firm and missing in all other values.

I supose that it would be solved creating this "years" with missing
data for all firms that hasn't information in this period, but I don't
know how to do that.

Thanks

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Philipp Rehm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> .
> Nick Cox's -dropmiss- may be useful. You may want to check out -findit
> dropmiss-
>
> It seems your panel data-set is in wide format. For most purposes, that's
> very inconvenient, at best. You may want to -reshape- your data-set to long
> format.
>
> HTH,
> Philipp
>
> Christian Bustamante wrote:
>>
>> Hi and thanks for your response. That's not what I'm looking for. I
>> will be more explicit.
>> Supose the folliwing data set with each row represents a panel
>> observations for a variable:
>>
>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
>> . . 3 4 5 6 7 8
>> 1 2 3 . 5 6 7 8
>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .
>> 1 2 3 4 5 . . .
>>
>> I want to keep only the observations like the first one and drop the
>> others.
>>
>> Bests
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Philipp Rehm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/panel.html
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Philipp

>>> *
>>> *   For searches and help try:
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

CdeB

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

Philipp Rehm
.
How about -tsfill-?
In particular: -tsfill, full-

Ph

Christian Bustamante wrote:

> That's solve the problem if the data set has all years for all panels,
> but it isn't. The data set is about firm's financial information, thus
> the firms that not reported information before 2000 (for example)
> doen't have a time period associated to it's id. The same occur with
> firms that have information since the begining of panel, but in 2003
> there isn't data an then a row with 2003 in the year variable for this
> firm and missing in all other values.
>
> I supose that it would be solved creating this "years" with missing
> data for all firms that hasn't information in this period, but I don't
> know how to do that.
>
> Thanks
>

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Philipp Rehm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> .
>> Nick Cox's -dropmiss- may be useful. You may want to check out -findit
>> dropmiss-
>>
>> It seems your panel data-set is in wide format. For most purposes, that's
>> very inconvenient, at best. You may want to -reshape- your data-set to long
>> format.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Philipp
>>
>> Christian Bustamante wrote:
>>> Hi and thanks for your response. That's not what I'm looking for. I
>>> will be more explicit.
>>> Supose the folliwing data set with each row represents a panel
>>> observations for a variable:
>>>
>>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
>>> . . 3 4 5 6 7 8
>>> 1 2 3 . 5 6 7 8
>>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .
>>> 1 2 3 4 5 . . .
>>>
>>> I want to keep only the observations like the first one and drop the
>>> others.
>>>
>>> Bests

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

You ought to give a much clearer excerpt of your data.

If it is really as simple as the one below, use -egen myrowmiss, rowmiss()-
and you can easily drop depending on whether the row has any missings
by -drop if myrowmiss >0 & !mi(myrowmiss)-.

_______________________
> Hi and thanks for your response. That's not what I'm looking for. I
> will be more explicit.
> Supose the folliwing data set with each row represents a panel
> observations for a variable:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
> . . 3 4 5 6 7 8
> 1 2 3 . 5 6 7 8
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .
> 1 2 3 4 5 . . .
>
> I want to keep only the observations like the first one and drop the
> others.
>
> Bests
>

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Philipp Rehm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> .
>>
>> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/panel.html
>>
>> HTH,
>> Philipp
>>
>> Christian Bustamante wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Statalisters,
>>>
>>> I have a very unbalanced panel data set, composed for a lot of panel
>>> and 12 years. I'm interested in "balance" this panel, keeping only the
>>> panel tha have information for a set of variables in all the period.
>>> How can I do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> *
>> * For searches and help try:
>> * http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>

> --
> CdeB

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

Christian Bustamante
Hi Martin
This is a better example:

 ---------------
| year  id  var1|
|---------------|
| 1998  01   .  |
| 1999  01   .  |
| 2000  01   34 |
| 2001  01   23 |
| 2002  01   25 |
|---------------|
| 1998  02   56 |
| 1999  02   45 |
| 2000  02   67 |
| 2001  02   47 |
| 2002  02   .  |
|---------------|
| 1998  03   11 |
| 1999  03   13 |
| 2000  03   .  |
| 2001  03   .  |
| 2002  03   23 |
|---------------|
| 1998  04   44 |
| 1999  04   24 |
| 2000  04   33 |
| 2001  04   36 |
| 2002  04   41 |
|---------------|
| 1999  05   24 |
| 2000  05   35 |
| 2002  05   45 |
|---------------|

In this example I only want the panel with id 04 with data in all the
years, and drop the panels 01, 02 and 03 with a missing value in at
least one year for var1. I also want to drop the panel 05 with doesn't
have values in all years.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Martin Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <>
>
> You ought to give a much clearer excerpt of your data.
>
> If it is really as simple as the one below, use -egen myrowmiss, rowmiss()-
> and you can easily drop depending on whether the row has any missings by
> -drop if myrowmiss >0 & !mi(myrowmiss)-.

> _______________________
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Bustamante" <[hidden email]>

Christopher F Baum
Christian said

In this example I only want the panel with id 04 with data in all the
years, and drop the panels 01, 02 and 03 with a missing value in at
least one year for var1. I also want to drop the panel 05 with doesn't
have values in all years.

drop if mi(var1)    [ which could be if mi(var1, var2, .... varn), but
they must be explicitly named)
by id: keep if _N == 5

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics & DIW Berlin   |   http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
                               An Introduction to Stata Programming
|   http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
    An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata  |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/imeus.html

AW: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

So the end result is that you end up with only panel 4? If you throw out
observations due to missingness beforehand, that is the inevitable
conclusion...

*************
clear*

inp year id var1
1998 1 .
1999 1 .
2000 1 34
2001 1 23
2002 1 25
1998 2 56
1999 2 45
2000 2 67
2001 2 47
2002 2 .
1998 3 11
1999 3 13
2000 3 .
2001 3 .
2002 3 23
1998 4 44
1999 4 24
2000 4 33
2001 4 36
2002 4 41
1999 5 24
2000 5 35
2002 5 45
end

drop if mi(var1)

tempvar length
bys id (year): gen `length'=_N
su `length', mean
bys id: drop if `length'!=r(max)
*************

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

Christian Bustamante
Still appears  Obs per group: min = 1m. Why?

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Martin Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <>
>
> So the end result is that you end up with only panel 4? If you throw out
> observations due to missingness beforehand, that is the inevitable
> conclusion...
>

> *************
> clear*
>
> inp year        id      var1
> 1998    1       .
> 1999    1       .
> 2000    1       34
> 2001    1       23
> 2002    1       25
> 1998    2       56
> 1999    2       45
> 2000    2       67
> 2001    2       47
> 2002    2       .
> 1998    3       11
> 1999    3       13
> 2000    3       .
> 2001    3       .
> 2002    3       23
> 1998    4       44
> 1999    4       24
> 2000    4       33
> 2001    4       36
> 2002    4       41
> 1999    5       24
> 2000    5       35
> 2002    5       45
> end
>
> drop if mi(var1)
>
> tempvar length
> bys id (year): gen `length'=_N
> su `length', mean
> bys id: drop if `length'!=r(max)
> *************

>>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .
>>> 1 2 3 4 5 . . .
>>>
>>> I want to keep only the observations like the first one and drop the
>>> others.
>>>
>>> Bests

>>> --
>>> CdeB
>>>
>>> *
>>> *   For searches and help try:
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

> CdeB

CdeB

Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

What is your question exactly?

_______________________
> Still appears  Obs per group: min = 1m. Why?
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Martin Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> <>
>>
>> So the end result is that you end up with only panel 4? If you throw out
>> observations due to missingness beforehand, that is the inevitable
>> conclusion...
>>

>> *************
>> clear*
>>
>> inp year id var1
>> 1998 1 .
>> 1999 1 .
>> 2000 1 34
>> 2001 1 23
>> 2002 1 25
>> 1998 2 56
>> 1999 2 45
>> 2000 2 67
>> 2001 2 47
>> 2002 2 .
>> 1998 3 11
>> 1999 3 13
>> 2000 3 .
>> 2001 3 .
>> 2002 3 23
>> 1998 4 44
>> 1999 4 24
>> 2000 4 33
>> 2001 4 36
>> 2002 4 41
>> 1999 5 24
>> 2000 5 35
>> 2002 5 45
>> end
>>
>> drop if mi(var1)
>>
>> tempvar length
>> bys id (year): gen `length'=_N
>> su `length', mean
>> bys id: drop if `length'!=r(max)
>> *************
>>

>> HTH
>> Martin

>>> Martin
>>> _______________________
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Bustamante"
>> <[hidden email]>

If i'm not wrong, when the panel is balanced, a regression should have
the same number of observations in each group. After doing that you
and Kit suggest me, it still appears the minimum observations per
group equal to 1. Why happens it if with your process the panel is
strongly balanced.

CB

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Martin Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <>
>
> What is your question exactly?

> _______________________
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Bustamante" <[hidden email]>

>>> 1999 1 .
>>> 2000 1 34
>>> 2001 1 23
>>> 2002 1 25
>>> 1998 2 56
>>> 1999 2 45
>>> 2000 2 67
>>> 2001 2 47
>>> 2002 2 .
>>> 1998 3 11
>>> 1999 3 13
>>> 2000 3 .
>>> 2001 3 .
>>> 2002 3 23
>>> 1998 4 44
>>> 1999 4 24
>>> 2000 4 33
>>> 2001 4 36
>>> 2002 4 41
>>> 1999 5 24
>>> 2000 5 35
>>> 2002 5 45
>>> end
>>>
>>> drop if mi(var1)
>>>
>>> tempvar length
>>> bys id (year): gen `length'=_N
>>> su `length', mean
>>> bys id: drop if `length'!=r(max)
>>>

>>> HTH
>>> Martin

What does -xtdescribe- give you? Which xt command are you running for your
regression?