Quantcast

st: Forest plot of hazard ratios

Anders Gaarsdal Holst
Hi,

I'm trying to make forest plot of hazard ratios like the one depicted
in this article (see figure 3):
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/301/17/1790

I have found the metagraph component, but this only really seems to be
suited for meta-analysis and not cox models.
Any suggestions as to how I do this?
Preferrably a step-by-step approach, as I'm not yet that proficient in Stata.

Kind regards,

Anders Holst, MD
Copenhagen, Denmark

st: AW: Forest plot of hazard ratios

Not everybody - including myself - can gain access via the link that you
provide, so you should give a full reference to increase your odds of
success...

Re: st: AW: Forest plot of hazard ratios

Anders Gaarsdal Holst
Sorry about that, but I guess you actually don't need to see the
figure to understand my question: It's just a basic forest plot, that
i want to do. An example of this can be seen here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_plot

Hope that clarifies it.

Kind regards,
Anders Holst

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Martin Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <>
>
> Not everybody - including myself - can gain access via the link that you
> provide, so you should give a full reference to increase your odds of
> success...

Re: st: Forest plot of hazard ratios

Maarten buis

--- On Fri, 22/5/09, Anders Gaarsdal Holst wrote:
> I'm trying to make forest plot of hazard ratios I have
> found the metagraph component, but this only really
> seems to be suited for meta-analysis and not cox models.

Roger Newson has developed some tools for creating this
type of graph. These are discussed in:

Roger Newson (2003) Confidence intervals and p–values for
delivery to the end user. The Stata Journal, 3(3): 245-269.
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0043

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen
Wilhelmstrasse 36
72074 Tuebingen
Germany

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

Re: st: Forest plot of hazard ratios

Anders Gaarsdal Holst
Thanks, this seems to point me in the right direction.

/Anders Holst

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Maarten buis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- On Fri, 22/5/09, Anders Gaarsdal Holst wrote:
>> I'm trying to make forest plot of hazard ratios I have
>> found the metagraph component, but this only really
>> seems to be suited for meta-analysis and not cox models.
>
> Roger Newson has developed some tools for creating this
> type of graph. These are discussed in:
>
> Roger Newson (2003) Confidence intervals and p–values for
> delivery to the end user. The Stata Journal, 3(3): 245-269.
> http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0043
>
> Hope this helps,
> Maarten

> Maarten L. Buis
> Institut fuer Soziologie
> Universitaet Tuebingen
> Wilhelmstrasse 36
> 72074 Tuebingen
> Germany
>
> http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

RE: st: Forest plot of hazard ratios

G Livesey
Hi Anders,

It seems you would find -metan- is a package you would find helpful, it is
up-to-date compared with metagraph, and will allow co-tabulation of study
data and results:

**************
ssc install metan
**************

See if needed
**************
help ssc
**************

A new version of metan has just been released, see:
********************
ssc whatsnew
********************

In case metan is already installed, it is important to update it or check
that it is updated:

****************
ssc install metan, replace
****************

To discover which version of metan is installed type
******************
which metan
******************

You may find more information of possible use via:

************************
net search meta-analysis
************************

A book on the conduct of meta-analyses via Stata is available from Stata
Press.

Note: The graph from metan can be output as a .wmf file, which imports as a
picture into PowerPoint, and so is editable in the Microsoft package in
detail by right clicking to select edit picture, then ungrouping,
deselecting objects, and selecting the objects in turn for editing (some
tabulated data is duplicated -one hidden behind the other, in which case
edit just one and discard the other). By selecting and deleting background
layers a transparent forest plot can be obtained when needed, for
presentations etc.

Hope this helps.

Geoff L

Geoffrey Livesey B.Sc., Ph.D., R.P.H.Nutr.
Registered Public Health Nutritionist

Member of SENSE, Professional Nutrition Consultants
www.sense-nutrition.org.uk
Member of ACUMENTIA, Professional Bioscience Consultants   www.acumentia.com

INDEPENDENT NUTRITION LOGIC (INLogic) Ltd
NUTRITION RESEARCH MANAGEMENT AND CONSULTANCY
Limited Company registered in England and Wales Number 4991400
VAT Registration Number GB 731 9065 38

Tel:       +44-1953-606689
Mobile:    +44-7990-964609
Fax:       +44-1953-600218

E:         [hidden email]

A:         Pealerswell House
           21 Bellrope Lane
           Wymondham
           Norfolk
           NR18 OQX
           United Kingdom

W:        www.inlogic.co.uk

wrote:

> --- On Fri, 22/5/09, Anders Gaarsdal Holst wrote:
>> I'm trying to make forest plot of hazard ratios I have
>> found the metagraph component, but this only really
>> seems to be suited for meta-analysis and not cox models.
>
> Roger Newson has developed some tools for creating this
> type of graph. These are discussed in:
>
> Roger Newson (2003) Confidence intervals and p–values for delivery to
> the end user. The Stata Journal, 3(3): 245-269.
> http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0043
>
> Hope this helps,
> Maarten

> Maarten L. Buis
> Institut fuer Soziologie
> Universitaet Tuebingen
> Wilhelmstrasse 36
> 72074 Tuebingen
> Germany
>
> http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

Re: st: Forest plot of hazard ratios

Anders Gaarsdal Holst
After playing around a bit with the different components, I found
metan combined with parmest to be just the thing. So thank you very
much.  Now I only have to figure out how to insert my reference
values, but this ought to be pretty simple.

Thanks
/Anders

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:48 PM, G Livesey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Anders,
>
> It seems you would find -metan- is a package you would find helpful, it is
> up-to-date compared with metagraph, and will allow co-tabulation of study
> data and results:
>
> **************
> ssc install metan
> **************
>
> See if needed
> **************
> help ssc
> **************
>
> A new version of metan has just been released, see:
> ********************
> ssc whatsnew
> ********************
>
> In case metan is already installed, it is important to update it or check
> that it is updated:
>
> ****************
> ssc install metan, replace
> ****************
>

> To discover which version of metan is installed type
> ******************
> which metan
> ******************
>
> You may find more information of possible use via:
>
> ************************
> net search meta-analysis
> ************************
>

> A book on the conduct of meta-analyses via Stata is available from Stata
> Press.
>
> Note: The graph from metan can be output as a .wmf file, which imports as a
> picture into PowerPoint, and so is editable in the Microsoft package in
> detail by right clicking to select edit picture, then ungrouping,
> deselecting objects, and selecting the objects in turn for editing (some
> tabulated data is duplicated -one hidden behind the other, in which case
> edit just one and discard the other). By selecting and deleting background
> layers a transparent forest plot can be obtained when needed, for
> presentations etc.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Geoff L
>
> Geoffrey Livesey B.Sc., Ph.D., R.P.H.Nutr.
> Registered Public Health Nutritionist
>

> Member of SENSE, Professional Nutrition Consultants
> www.sense-nutrition.org.uk
> Member of ACUMENTIA, Professional Bioscience Consultants   www.acumentia.com
>

> INDEPENDENT NUTRITION LOGIC (INLogic) Ltd
> NUTRITION RESEARCH MANAGEMENT AND CONSULTANCY
> Limited Company registered in England and Wales Number 4991400
> VAT Registration Number GB 731 9065 38
>
> Tel:       +44-1953-606689
> Mobile:    +44-7990-964609
> Fax:       +44-1953-600218
>

> E:         [hidden email]
>
> A:         Pealerswell House
>           21 Bellrope Lane
>           Wymondham
>           Norfolk
>           NR18 OQX
>           United Kingdom
>

> W:        www.inlogic.co.uk

enayet
Hi

I am trying to prepare the similar forest plot as you tried earlier that is compare unadjusted and adjusted Hazard ratio in the same figure.
So far using the metan and parmest package I able to create separate forest plot. Could you please guide me how to compare the variable side by side in a forest plot.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Enayet