st: AW: Graph: Colouring table cells based on conditions or data distribution

123456

RE: Post-Hoc test for Kruskal Wallis

Nick Cox
Thanks, on behalf of those who wanted it.

In terms of your original question I can see two situations here.

1. The data come as ranks. No comment to add.

2. The data do not come as ranks, but working with ranks is a reaction
to some queasiness about the data, e.g. outliers, skewness, some other
kind of messiness. Even in this situation I would tend to play a bit and
consider transformation vs no transformation, or -glm- with different
link functions. If the substantive conclusion is that the scale is
secondary, you can avoid Kruskal-Wallis. If that the scale is crucial,
you (or your client) may need better data.

Ricardo Ovaldia

Here it is:
Sokal, R. R. and F. J. Rohlf. 1995. Biometry: the principles and
practice of statistics in biological research. 3rd edition. W. H.
Freeman and Co.: New York.

> > From: Nick Cox <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Monday, March 15, 2010, 11:22 AM

> > . findit Kruskal
> >
> > turns up what there is. -findit- is a variant on
> -search-,
> > recommended
> > to you in the last thread you started.
> >
> > Minimal name (year) references are deprecated on this
> list.
> > But the
> > procedure recommended in that book is almost
> certainly
> > highly
> > programmable.
>
> Ricardo Ovaldia
>
> > Is there a Post-Hoc test for Kruskal Wallis in Stata?
> > Something like the one proposed by Sokal and Rohlf
> (1995).

RE: CIs around Qreg trend line

Jeff-2
In Stata 10, assuming a qreg regression with one predictor, is there a
way to develop confidence intervals around the qreg trend line (or any
quantile for that matter)?

Also, once developed, what would be the syntax to then graph the scatter
plot, trend line and confidence intervals?

Thank you in advance.

Jeffrey B. Wolpin

RE: CIs around Qreg trend line

Nick Cox
sysuse auto, clear
gen gpm = 1/mpg
qreg gpm weight
predict pred
predict se, stdp
local level = (100 - 95) / 200
gen ul = pred + invttail(e(df_r), `level') * se
gen ll = pred - invttail(e(df_r), `level') * se
twoway rarea ll ul weight, sort astyle(ci) || ///
line pred weight, sort || ///
scatter gpm weight, legend(off) ytitle(Gallons per mile)

Jeffrey B. Wolpin

In Stata 10, assuming a qreg regression with one predictor, is there a
way to develop confidence intervals around the qreg trend line (or any
quantile for that matter)?

Also, once developed, what would be the syntax to then graph the scatter
plot, trend line and confidence intervals?

RE: CIs around Qreg trend line

Jeffrey may also like the recently updated

*************
ssc d grqreg
*************

RE: CIs around Qreg trend line

Jeff-2
Dear Mr. Cox,

Thank you.  The example syntax worked great.
Question:
What is being computed by the line "local level = (100 - 95) / 200"?
Is this line in any way dependent upon the number of observations?
Alternatively, what does 200 signify.

Thanks again and pardon my ignorance.

Jeffrey B. Wolpin

RE: CIs around Qreg trend line

" What is being computed by the line "local level = (100 - 95) / 200"?"

Try Maarten`s http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0137 to
get a handle on this issue.
Preprint at
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/fileadmin/Uni_Tuebingen/Fakultaeten/SozialVerhal
ten/Institut_fuer_Soziologie/Dokumente/Pdf_Dateien/Buis/p-value_pdf.pdf

Re: Post-Hoc test for Kruskal Wallis

Joseph Coveney
Ricardo Ovaldia wrote:

Is there a Post-Hoc test for Kruskal Wallis in Stata?
Something like the one proposed by Sokal and Rohlf (1995).

I'm not sure whether it's the same test that you're referring to, but last
summer I had an occasion to program the Dwass, Steel, Critchlow-Fligner test.  I
used M. Hollander & D. A. Wolfe, _Nonparametric Statistical Methods_ Second
Edition. (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1999) pp. 240--44 as the source for the
formula and for the worked example to verify the ado file's output.

It's not difficult to program, but I'll put it up on SSC once I write a help
file.  You'll need to install John Gleason's -qsturng- from SSC in order to get
the reference distribution for the test statistic (Studentized range) if you
want to avoid manual look-up.

Joseph Coveney

RE: CIs around Qreg trend line

(100 - 95) / 200 is .025 as I presume you know or can work out for
yourself.

The result is put in a local macro called -level- which is then fed as
one argument to the -invttail()- function. In this case, you get a 95%
confidence interval. The other argument is the number of residual
degrees of freedom to play with. The element "df" is a clue here.

To get this example, I modified some code that you can see for a similar
problem in

. ssc type rcspline.ado

I use this form because it is then easy to see that for "different
values of 95", you would just plug in something else instead of 95, e.g.

local level = (100 - 90) / 200

is the different line needed for a 90% confidence interval.

Jeffrey B. Wolpin

[...]

Thank you Joseph. I am in the process of programing and testing Sokal and Rohlf which also uses the Q statistic. I am using John Gleason's -qsturng- command for the distribution. I would be intereted in seen if  they are both the same method.

Regards,
Ricardo

Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Statistician
Oklahoma City, OK

> Is there a Post-Hoc test for Kruskal Wallis in Stata?
> Something like the one proposed by Sokal and Rohlf (1995).

> I'm not sure whether it's the same test that you're
> referring to, but last
> summer I had an occasion to program the Dwass, Steel,
> Critchlow-Fligner test.  I
> used M. Hollander & D. A. Wolfe, _Nonparametric
> Statistical Methods_ Second
> Edition. (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1999) pp.
> 240--44 as the source for the
> formula and for the worked example to verify the ado file's
> output.
>
> It's not difficult to program, but I'll put it up on SSC
> once I write a help
> file.  You'll need to install John Gleason's -qsturng-
> from SSC in order to get
> the reference distribution for the test statistic
> (Studentized range) if you
> want to avoid manual look-up.
>
> Joseph Coveney
>

> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Re: to preserve locals while debugging

Stefan.Gawrich
Thanks Nick and Jeph for your replies

Nick Cox wrote:
I think the main trick is to keep all the locals you need together with
the graph commands in a _small_ .do file. That is, as a .do file can
call other .do files, storing definitions together with commands is the
most obvious way to go.

I agree but in my work I have to do a lot of "mass production" where
the output is nearly the same for a lot of customers. So I often end up
with huge do-files and loops. There might be other ways but despite the issue
discussed here I'm quite comfortable with that.

Jeph Herrin wrote a script to show that locals and contents of locals
can  be parsed from -macro list-.

The idea works well but in this form only for simple locals.
I have some special cases so I altered it according to them:

There are issues with long locals going over several rows in -macro dir-.
I decided to take only the local names from -local dir- and take the
content right out of the local.

I often have several parts each containing several numbers or words
in compound quotes in one local (e.g. different graph titles).
After a linebreak in -macro dir- it could happen that something like
2007"'
was the first word and caused errors in the -stringpos- function
even if compound quotes in -stringpos- were used.
I eliminated all quotes from the first word of each line.

Here's the altered script:
It worked with all of my locals but I'm not sure if it can handle
each and every special case.

**********

capture log close
log using mylocals2.txt, text replace
macro list
log close
file open logfile using mylocals2.txt, text read
file open mylocals using mylocals2.do, text replace write
file read logfile line
while r(eof)==0 {
        local lname : word 1 of `line'
                local lname : subinstr local lname `"""' ""
                local lname : subinstr local lname `"'"' ""
        if strpos("`lname'","_")==1  {
                local lval  : subinstr local line "`lname'" ""
                local lname : subinstr local lname "_" ""
                local lname : subinstr local lname ":" ""
                file write mylocals "local `lname' " _char(34) `"``lname''"' _char(34)  _n
        }

        file read logfile line
}
file close logfile
file close mylocals

**********

Thanks again

Stefan

Find Again and Copy in do-file editor

Stefan.Gawrich
I agree that "mark&find" is a nice feature but as far as I know
it's not documented (PDF-documentation GSW[13] paragraph "searching").
Different software uses this in different ways so the user never knows.

One can argue that - after the search box is closed - the search ends
and F3 provides an additional search function based on the last inserted or marked string.

But on the other hand F3 is named "Find Next"
which makes it a logical successor of "Find".

In general it would be better not to have a search box but a search field
in the top or bottom of the editor GUI (e.g. like in Firefox or Acrobat reader)
which shows the active search string to the user and doesn't interfere with the text window.

Stefan

AW: Find Again and Copy in do-file editor

" but a search field
in the top or bottom of the editor GUI (e.g. like in Firefox or Acrobat reader)"

Or in the Viewer shipped with Stata - where the F3 key, in turn, seems not to be functional...

Survival data - stset problem

Stefan.Gawrich
Dear Johan,

length of election period is an issue in this calculation.
If you have the length of the election period you can turn the proportional time-var into an absolute time var.

Perhaps you can take the length of the election period from the start and end dates of governments that didn't fail
(Assuming that election periods remain constant over time in one country).
That's the easy part.

Time to the next election seems to be quite of importance for government action so it might influence the failure risk years before the election period ends. So you probably have time-independent risk factors (political events, affairs), time-dependent risk factors from the start (wear, growing animosities in a coalition) and time-dependent risk factors towards the end (tactical behavior of reelection favourite, ending of a stalemate situation).

So if one election period is four and another is five years it's probably not done only by censoring at four years.

Stefan

***********

Dear Stata-users,

I have question regarding how to set up failure-time data in Stata.
In my dataset (an unbalanced  panel of data on governments  from 1945-2009) I have a proportional time-variable, i.e. the relative duration time measuring if government cabinets survives a whole term for which is elected, where 1 indicates that is stays in power for a whole term and e.g. 0.5 the cabinet dissolves after half a term. It is possible to use such a variable for setting up failure-time data in Stata?

I also have the start date and end date of cabinets, but since the time-variable above also contains qualitative judgements (of experts) what constitutes an failure, e.g.  as some countries does not have fixed terms, it would be appropriate to use the relative duration variable described above.

Thanks,
Johan Hellström

Replacing certain characters in variable labels.

Stefan.Gawrich
This seems to be a character encoding error. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding

Different Software may use different encodings.

I don't find the example text string on the net so I can't guess the character encoding involved.

There are translation routines available (e.g. see Wikipedia article or some database software) which may be the most secure way to handle this. If you're sure that only a few characters have to be translated, the manual conversion might be the easiest solution.

Stefan

Testing german umlauts on the list: ü - ä - ö - ß  (ue - ae - oe - sharp-s)

Re: Survival data - stset problem

Johan Hellstrom
Stefan,

Thanks' for the help.

Best,
Johan

New package -ebrowse-

Stefan.Gawrich
Dear Markus,

thanks for -ebrowse-.

As far as -viewsource- tells me you have set the version to 9 which causes c(version) to be set to 9
which makes "if (c(version)>=11) {" quite predictable.

With version set to 11 it works for me.

Stefan

RE: New package -ebrowse-

Markus Hilmar Hahn
Dear Stefan

thank you for the hint. This version statement should not be there. Just
added it last minute and submitted it without checking it properly.

Submitted an updated version to ssc.

Cheers
Markus

---

Dear Markus,

thanks for -ebrowse-.

As far as -viewsource- tells me you have set the version to 9 which
causes c(version) to be set to 9
which makes "if (c(version)>=11) {" quite predictable.

With version set to 11 it works for me.

Stefan

AW: st: bottom to top or reverse cumulative distribution in table command?

Stefan.Gawrich
Dear Amy,

Stata date and time functions are somehow confusing at the start but very nice to work with later.

If you have the dates in Stata format (number of days from 1,1, 1960)
you don't have to care about the formats and just can calculate:
Var2date - Var1date = date difference.
You can multiply the date difference by 24*60 to change it into minutes.

********* Now to the time of day
I can't guess what your time vars contain.

You have a string format (str5) so you need to transfer the string vars into numeric vars first.
Example:
Replace Var1time_n = real(Var1time)

I suppose the vars contain elapsed seconds or minutes from midnight.
In this case things are rather easy:

You calculate the difference Var2time - Var1time which might be positive or negative.
Then convert this result into minutes if Var[1/2]time counts other time measures.

Finally add the time difference to the date difference (both in minutes) and you have the total difference.

This is one easy way, there are other functions available in the date and time section but one has to know the exact data specification to use them.

Stefan Gawrich

Dear Statalist users,

I am very much a beginner in Stata, and I have Stata 11.0.  I have read the “help dates” instructional from Stata, but am still confused.  For my project in the Zambian hospital setting, I must calculate the elapsed time in minutes of 2 sets of variables, they are:

Var1date: Date patient departed from the clinic
Var1time: Time patient departed from the clinic

Var2date: Date patient arrived at the hospital
Var2time: Time patient arrived at the hospital

The time variables have type “str5” and format “%5s.”  The date variables have the type “long” and format “%dD_m_Y.”  (I also do not quite understand the meaning of “str5,” “%5s,” and “long.”)

I would like to calculate the time difference (in minutes) between the time the patient left the clinic to when the patient arrived at the hospital.  How would I merge, for example, Var2date and Var2time into “Var2” from which I may subtract Var1 (Var2-Var1 = time transport takes).

Thanks very much for your consideration,
Amy

[...]

Stefan, how come your subject line suddenly changes to "st: bottom to top or reverse cumulative distribution in table command?" even though you are replying to Amy`s "Merging 2 variables to calculate time elapse (time/date)"? Is this a malfunction of the server?

BTW, - replace Var1time_n = real(Var1time)- implies that "Var1time_n" has come into being somehow, maybe -generate-d somewhere "upstream". The -real()- function will accept only strings that can be readily converted to numeric vars, w/o any removal of dashes, colons etc. So we do need to know what Amy`s data look like to give further advice...

***
di real("12-31")
di real("1231")
di real("12-31")