st: AW: Graph: Colouring table cells based on conditions or data distribution

RE: precision Problem taking string from double var

Nick Cox
Perhaps you should outfile -string(100 * whatever, "%4.0f")-.

Maarten Buis wrote:

A string will typically take up (much) more memory than an integer.
I proposed to use a long integer, in that case a string
varialbe has to contain for all observations a maximum of 3
characters (including the ".") for it to use less memory than
a long integer. If you can store your number as integer, i.e.
all numbers are more than -32,767 and less than 32,740, than
the string has to contain a maximum of only one character to
take up less memory. If you can store your numbers as a byte,
i.e. all numbers are more than -127 and less than 100, than
there is no string variable that takes less memory.

Hi Maarten,

Concerning memory consumption you are right.
But I don't know how to outfile an (pseudo) integer var in "%4.2f"-format.

RE: precision Problem taking string from double var

Maarten buis
--- On Fri, 29/10/10, [hidden email] wrote:
> But I don't know how to outfile an (pseudo) integer var in
> "%4.2f"-format.

The whole point is that you do not output it as "%4.2f", that
would defeat the whole purpose of turning it into an integer,
but as "%6.0f".

Hope this helps,
Maarten

--------------------------
Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen
Wilhelmstrasse 36
72074 Tuebingen
Germany

http://www.maartenbuis.nl
--------------------------

Re: st: AW: Graph: Colouring table cells based on conditions or data distribution

jonesmiller
--- On Fri, 16/10/09, [hidden email] wrote:
> In my work I often have to display both a table (to pick
> data from) and a graph (for visual impression) to users
> and I'm constantly trying to combine both. Colouring
> tables is one way to do this if rules/conditions are
> user-defineable.
>
> I thought about setting up a coloured twoway table in Stata
> but that doesn't seem to be easy

This talk by Nick Cox at the last German Stata Users' Meeting may be
what you are looking for.

http://ideas.repec.org/p/boc/dsug09/01.html

Hope this helps,
Maarten