set mem problem

Kiss Sándor Csanád
Hello Everyone!
My General Problem is:
I keep bumping into the following error message with set mem:
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
r(909);
I use Stata/SE 11.0 for Windows (32-bit).
I have 4 gigs of RAM, and only can give stata about 700m.
I heard rumours that under 32bit, this problem is unsolvable. Is it?
My Specific Problem is:
I have to read in a .sav file of 924megabyte
stattransfer converts it to a 1900megabyte .dta which is way too big
stattransfer also can convert it to an equally sized .cvs which I could read
in with insheet
but i cant, because I am only able to allocate 700 megabytes with set mem
Is my only solution file splitting?
Thnx in advance: Csanad

Re: set mem problem

nshephard
Administrator
010/8/5 Kiss Sándor Csanád <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Everyone!
> My General Problem is:
> I keep bumping into the following error message with set mem:
> op. sys. refuses to provide memory
> r(909);
> I use Stata/SE 11.0 for Windows (32-bit).
> I have 4 gigs of RAM, and only can give stata about 700m.
> I heard rumours that under 32bit, this problem is unsolvable. Is it?
> My Specific Problem is:
> I have to read in a .sav file of 924megabyte
> stattransfer converts it to a 1900megabyte .dta which is way too big
> stattransfer also can convert it to an equally sized .cvs which I could read
> in with insheet
> but i cant, because I am only able to allocate 700 megabytes with set mem
> Is my only solution file splitting?

The solution is to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system.

All explained in http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html

Neil

--
"One should as a rule, respect public opinion in so far as is
necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything

Email - [hidden email]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/

RE: set mem problem

Tharyan, Rajesh
Hi,

On this page http://www.stata.com/stata11/point1.html it says " Windows XP. The amount of memory available to Stata has been increased on 32-bit Windows XP."
This is referring to stata 11.1 which is a free upgrade to stata 11. You don't say what OS you are using but upgrade to 11.1 and see if that makes any difference. But the problem of the 2gb limit on 32 bit systems will still apply I guess. So the real alternative is what Neil suggests. Which might be easier said than done when that decision is not in your hands.

Regards
rajesh

010/8/5 Kiss Sándor Csanád <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Everyone!
> My General Problem is:
> I keep bumping into the following error message with set mem:
> op. sys. refuses to provide memory
> r(909);
> I use Stata/SE 11.0 for Windows (32-bit).
> I have 4 gigs of RAM, and only can give stata about 700m.
> I heard rumours that under 32bit, this problem is unsolvable. Is it?
> My Specific Problem is:
> I have to read in a .sav file of 924megabyte
> stattransfer converts it to a 1900megabyte .dta which is way too big
> stattransfer also can convert it to an equally sized .cvs which I could read
> in with insheet
> but i cant, because I am only able to allocate 700 megabytes with set mem
> Is my only solution file splitting?

The solution is to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system.

All explained in http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html

Neil

--
"One should as a rule, respect public opinion in so far as is
necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything
that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary
tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of
ways..." - Bertrand Russell

Email - [hidden email]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/

Re: set mem problem

Eric A. Booth

Also, until you get the upgraded OS/Stata, you can select some sub-set of the variables in your .dta file to -use-.  See -help use- for more details.

~ Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University
[hidden email]
Office: +979.845.6754

On Aug 5, 2010, at 4:26 AM, Kiss Sándor Csanád wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
> My General Problem is:
> I keep bumping into the following error message with set mem:
> op. sys. refuses to provide memory
> r(909);
> I use Stata/SE 11.0 for Windows (32-bit).
> I have 4 gigs of RAM, and only can give stata about 700m.
> I heard rumours that under 32bit, this problem is unsolvable. Is it?
> My Specific Problem is:
> I have to read in a .sav file of 924megabyte
> stattransfer converts it to a 1900megabyte .dta which is way too big
> stattransfer also can convert it to an equally sized .cvs which I could read
> in with insheet
> but i cant, because I am only able to allocate 700 megabytes with set mem
> Is my only solution file splitting?
> Thnx in advance: Csanad

AW: st: set mem problem

" until you get the upgraded OS/Stata, you can select some sub-set of the
variables in your .dta file to -use-."

Given that Csanad says he has access to Stat/Transfer, he can also customize
his selection of cases and variables there. The program also has a random
number generator that allows one to draw a, say, 1% sample which can be used
to test stuff that subsequently should be run on the whole dataset.

Also, until you get the upgraded OS/Stata, you can select some sub-set of
the variables in your .dta file to -use-.  See -help use- for more details.

~ Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University
[hidden email]
Office: +979.845.6754

On Aug 5, 2010, at 4:26 AM, Kiss Sándor Csanád wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
> My General Problem is:
> I keep bumping into the following error message with set mem:
> op. sys. refuses to provide memory
> r(909);
> I use Stata/SE 11.0 for Windows (32-bit).
> I have 4 gigs of RAM, and only can give stata about 700m.
> I heard rumours that under 32bit, this problem is unsolvable. Is it?
> My Specific Problem is:
> I have to read in a .sav file of 924megabyte
> stattransfer converts it to a 1900megabyte .dta which is way too big
> stattransfer also can convert it to an equally sized .cvs which I could
read

> in with insheet
> but i cant, because I am only able to allocate 700 megabytes with set mem
> Is my only solution file splitting?
> Thnx in advance: Csanad

RE: set mem problem

Kiss Sándor Csanád
Rajesh, upgrading to Stata11.1 in fact let me double my allocatable memory, so thnx.
And to all the others as well.

          Kiss Sándor Csanád
          Elemző közgazdász / Economist
          Office of the Fiscal Council, Hungary