Quantcast

outliers v. skew

Campo, Marc
   Yes it is the same post.  And yes.the answers were good there and appreciated.   I don't know if it is poor form to move the post here.   I was not at all unhappy with the answers.   I had however, already run quantile regression so I was seeking additional opinions here.

   The input there (and here) is always appreciated.

Marc

Re: outliers v. skew

nshephard
Administrator
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Campo, Marc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    Yes it is the same post.  And yes.the answers were good there and appreciated.   I don't know if it is poor form to move the post here.   I was not at all unhappy with the answers.   I had however, already run quantile regression so I was seeking additional opinions here.

Its perhaps sensible (to my mind at least) to reference it and
indicate that the suggestions have been tried.

That way others can see what has been done and avoid wasting time
suggesting something has already been suggested and tried.

After all, people on both lists give their valuable and limited time
freely.  Failing to recognise this and attempting to minimise
duplication of efforts is a bit inconsiderate (again in my opinion).

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [hidden email]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/

RE: outliers v. skew

Nick Cox
Personally, I agree with Neil here.

Neil Shephard

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Campo, Marc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    Yes it is the same post.  And yes.the answers were good there and appreciated.   I don't know if it is poor form to move the post here.   I was not at all unhappy with the answers.   I had however, already run quantile regression so I was seeking additional opinions here.

It's perhaps sensible (to my mind at least) to reference it and
indicate that the suggestions have been tried.

That way others can see what has been done and avoid wasting time
suggesting something has already been suggested and tried.

After all, people on both lists give their valuable and limited time
freely.  Failing to recognise this and attempting to minimise
duplication of efforts is a bit inconsiderate (again in my opinion).

RE: outliers v. skew

Campo, Marc
I see your point and don't want anyone to waste their valuable time.  I will reference anything duplicative on future posts. For reference here, the main suggestion at medstats was quantile regression.
Here is a link to that discussion

http://groups.google.com/group/medstats/browse_thread/thread/95e098ccc98fdd76?hl=en

Thanks again....everyone...

Marc