Quantcast

my probit does not converge in Stata 11

Carl-Magnus
Dear all,

I have recently switched from Stata 10 to Stata 11 and discovered that I cannot get my probit to work in this version. It starts to iterate and after about five iterations it says (backed up), and then it gets stuck on the same log psuedolikelihood, forever it appears. I use the exact same commands as I did in Stata 10, and in Stata 10 it only iterates a few times before it gives me the results.

Originally my command was of the form xi: probit ….. but I have also tried just probit and other simplifications and it still does not converge. I noticed that some previous threads also concerned this matter, but I did not find a solution to the problem anywhere.  If anyone could help me with this I would be very grateful.

Best regards
Carl Magnus Bjuggren

Re: my probit does not converge in Stata 11

Joseph McDonnell
Carl Magnus

have you tried running as the version 10 version of itself?

Joseph

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Carl-Magnus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have recently switched from Stata 10 to Stata 11 and discovered that I
> cannot get my probit to work in this version. It starts to iterate and after
> about five iterations it says (backed up), and then it gets stuck on the
> same log psuedolikelihood, forever it appears. I use the exact same commands
> as I did in Stata 10, and in Stata 10 it only iterates a few times before it
> gives me the results.
>
> Originally my command was of the form xi: probit ….. but I have also tried
> just probit and other simplifications and it still does not converge. I
> noticed that some previous threads also concerned this matter, but I did not
> find a solution to the problem anywhere.  If anyone could help me with this
> I would be very grateful.
>
> Best regards
> Carl Magnus Bjuggren

Re: my probit does not converge in Stata 11

Carl-Magnus
Joseph,

I have run my regressions in both versions, both Stata 11 and Stata 10. The exakt same regressions converge in Stata 10 but not in Stata 11. In Stata 11 it just keeps on iterating without giving me any results. (Perhaps I misunderstood your question?)

Best regards
Carl Magnus

RE: Re: my probit does not converge in Stata 11

Carl-Magnus
Nick,

Thank you for your help. I will contact tech-support for advice.

Carl Magnus

RE: Re: my probit does not converge in Stata 11

mlodefalk
Finding the same problem with probit not converging in Stata 12, getting stuck on the same log pseudolikelihood (backed up), I wonder whether any solution has been found for this, either in Stata 11 or 12. Everything works fine in version 10.
/ Magnus