Quantcast

multiple y-axes

Kieran McCaul-2

I'm trying to overlay a line graph and a histogram, so I used this:

twoway (line hr TOC, yaxis(1)) ///
       (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(2))

This gives me the y-axis for hr on the left and the y-axis for the
histogram on the right which is what I want, but the histogram is over
the top of the line.

OK, so then I tried:
twoway (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(2))  ///
       (line hr TOC, yaxis(1))

Now the line is on top of the histogram (good), but the y-axes have
swapped.  Now the hr axis is on the right  and the histogram axis is on
the left.

So my question: how can if get my axes where I want them and have the
line over the top of the histogram?

Thanks.

Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)
University of Western Australia
Level 6, Ainslie House
48 Murray St
Perth 6000
Phone: (08) 9224-2701
Fax: (08) 9224 8009
email: [hidden email]
http://myprofile.cos.com/mccaul
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8751-2008

"You don't win friends with salad" - Homer Simpson on vegetarianism
__
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may
contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for
overly sensitive persons with low
self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you
are not the intended recipient,
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not
authorised (either explicitly or implicitly)
and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Re: multiple y-axes

Michael N. Mitchell
Maybe this will do the trick?

twoway (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(1))  ///
        (line hr TOC, yaxis(2))

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/vgsg.html
Stata tidbit of the week         - http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-09-01 7.53 PM, Kieran McCaul wrote:

> I'm trying to overlay a line graph and a histogram, so I used this:
>
> twoway (line hr TOC, yaxis(1)) ///
>         (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(2))
>
> This gives me the y-axis for hr on the left and the y-axis for the
> histogram on the right which is what I want, but the histogram is over
> the top of the line.
>
> OK, so then I tried:
> twoway (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(2))  ///
>         (line hr TOC, yaxis(1))
>
> Now the line is on top of the histogram (good), but the y-axes have
> swapped.  Now the hr axis is on the right  and the histogram axis is on
> the left.
>
> So my question: how can if get my axes where I want them and have the
> line over the top of the histogram?
>
> Thanks.

> Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
> WA Centre for Health&  Ageing (M573)
> University of Western Australia
> Level 6, Ainslie House
> 48 Murray St
> Perth 6000
> Phone: (08) 9224-2701
> Fax: (08) 9224 8009
> email: [hidden email]
> http://myprofile.cos.com/mccaul
> http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8751-2008
>
> "You don't win friends with salad" - Homer Simpson on vegetarianism
> __
> IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
> addressee(s) named above and may
> contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for
> overly sensitive persons with low
> self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you
> are not the intended recipient,
> any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not
> authorised (either explicitly or implicitly)
> and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

RE: multiple y-axes

Kieran McCaul-2

No joy there, Michael.

twoway (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(1))  ///
        (line hr TOC, yaxis(2))

gives me the same as:

On 2010-09-01 7.53 PM, Kieran McCaul wrote:

> I'm trying to overlay a line graph and a histogram, so I used this:
>
> twoway (line hr TOC, yaxis(1)) ///
>         (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(2))
>
> This gives me the y-axis for hr on the left and the y-axis for the
> histogram on the right which is what I want, but the histogram is over
> the top of the line.
>
> OK, so then I tried:
> twoway (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(2))  ///
>         (line hr TOC, yaxis(1))
>
> Now the line is on top of the histogram (good), but the y-axes have
> swapped.  Now the hr axis is on the right  and the histogram axis is
on

> the left.
>
> So my question: how can if get my axes where I want them and have the
> line over the top of the histogram?
>
> Thanks.

> Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
> WA Centre for Health&  Ageing (M573)
> University of Western Australia
> Level 6, Ainslie House
> 48 Murray St
> Perth 6000
> Phone: (08) 9224-2701
> Fax: (08) 9224 8009
> email: [hidden email]
> http://myprofile.cos.com/mccaul
> http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8751-2008
>
> "You don't win friends with salad" - Homer Simpson on vegetarianism

> __
> IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
> addressee(s) named above and may
> contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for
> overly sensitive persons with low
> self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If
you

> are not the intended recipient,
> any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not
> authorised (either explicitly or implicitly)
> and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Re: multiple y-axes

Michael N. Mitchell
Well, that is what happens when you suggest an idea without trying it. I am stumped on
this, because the documentation says -yscale(alt)- should switch the position of the y
axis from right to left (or vice versa), but I cannot find any combination of -yaxis()-
and -yscale()- that will solve this. Although this is not a fun suggestion, you could use
the graph editor, choosing the -grid edit- mode to move the axis from the left to the
right, and then from the right to the left. I bet, however, someone else has a better idea!

On 2010-09-01 8.39 PM, Kieran McCaul wrote:

> No joy there, Michael.
>
> twoway (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(1))  ///
>          (line hr TOC, yaxis(2))
>
> gives me the same as:
>
> twoway (histogram osteocalcin, width(5) yaxis(2))   ///
>         (line hr TOC, yaxis(1))

Scott Merryman
sysuse auto
twowy hist mpg, yscale(alt axis(1)) || line weight mpg, sort yaxis(2)
yscale(alt axis(2))

Scott

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Michael N. Mitchell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, that is what happens when you suggest an idea without trying it. I am
> stumped on this, because the documentation says -yscale(alt)- should switch
> the position of the y axis from right to left (or vice versa), but I cannot
> find any combination of -yaxis()- and -yscale()- that will solve this.
> Although this is not a fun suggestion, you could use the graph editor,
> choosing the -grid edit- mode to move the axis from the left to the right,
> and then from the right to the left. I bet, however, someone else has a
> better idea!
>
> Michael N. Mitchell
> Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html
> A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/vgsg.html
> Stata tidbit of the week         - http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

Re: multiple y-axes

Clive Nicholas
Scott Merryman wrote:

> sysuse auto
> twowy hist mpg, yscale(alt axis(1)) || line weight mpg, sort yaxis(2)
> yscale(alt axis(2))

But do you notice that the line graph it produces looks horrible, even
with -sort-?

--
Clive Nicholas

<[hidden email]>. Please respond to contributions I make in
a list thread here. Thanks!]

methodology. I prefer to call it style." -- Freeman J. Dyson

RE: multiple y-axes

Kieran McCaul-2

thanks Scott, that did th etrick