Quantcast

maps with spmap

sara borelli
Dear Statalisters,
I created some maps for US counties using spmap.
I then saved them as stata graph and copied into word, but the size of the files is pretty large.
I am not sure if there is a way to save those maps in a format that creates smaller files and  that can then be imported into word

thank you for any suggestions
Sara

Re: maps with spmap

nshephard
Administrator
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM, sara borelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Statalisters,
> I created some maps for US counties using spmap.
> I then saved them as stata graph and copied into word, but the size of the files is pretty large.
> I am not sure if there is a way to save those maps in a format that creates smaller files and  that can then be imported into word

Assuming you're using an M$-Windows variant you should consider -graph
export path/to/file.emf, as(emf)- or -graph export path/to/file.wmf,
as(wmf)- as you should then be able to resize images easily (in fact
you should be able to do this to any inserted image within word, not
sure if thats possible if pasting things in though and don't have
access to Word to check).

See -man graph export- for more details/help.

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [hidden email]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/

Re: maps with spmap

Sergiy Radyakin
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:40 AM, sara borelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Statalisters,
> I created some maps for US counties using spmap.
> I then saved them as stata graph and copied into word, but the size of the files is pretty large.
> I am not sure if there is a way to save those maps in a format that creates smaller files and  that can then be imported into word

If you are exporting to vector formats (like wmf, emf, etc) you may
want to reduce the number of points in the map.
Put your shapefile through the MapShaper tool here: mapshaper.org
and get a much more manageable map

If you are exporting to rastrer formats (like png, tiff, etc) then the
file should be pretty small, and you can make it smaller by adjusting
the image size (see png export options width= and height=).

I'd recommend having the best quality in your Word document. If you
are preparing files for the internet, you can downgrade quality at a
later stage, e.g. when converting to PDF, select a proper option.

You might also be interested in ADePT Maps:
http://go.worldbank.org/ODS4NKQBB0

Best, Sergiy Radyakin

> thank you for any suggestions
> Sara

Re: maps with spmap

sara borelli
thansk a lot for your suggetions!
sara

> > I created some maps for US counties using spmap.
> > I then saved them as stata graph and copied into word,
> but the size of the files is pretty large.
> > I am not sure if there is a way to save those maps in
> a format that creates smaller files and  that can then be
> imported into word
>
> Assuming you're using an M$-Windows variant you should
> consider -graph
> export path/to/file.emf, as(emf)- or -graph export
> path/to/file.wmf,
> as(wmf)- as you should then be able to resize images easily
> (in fact
> you should be able to do this to any inserted image within
> word, not
> sure if thats possible if pasting things in though and
> don't have
> access to Word to check).
>
> See -man graph export- for more details/help.
>
> Neil
>

> --
> "Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the
> intellectual
> revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral
> Theory of
> Molecular Evolution
>
> Email - [hidden email]
> Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/