Stata 11 Mac crashes

Ulrich Atz-2
Hi everyone,

I can produce a crash with the following command (all dummy variables) after a multinomial logit regression:

margins i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig#(i.us#i.highrel), at(age=50)

This one for example works -margins (i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig)#i.us#i.highrel, at(age=50)-, though not as I intend. (The idea was to interact the first three dummies with an interaction term.)

I know this is very little information and that the syntax may actually be wrong, but I suppose an error would be more appropriate than a crash. I use Stata/IC 11.1 for Mac (64-bit Intel).

If the statalist is not the right place to report bugs, I apologise.

Thanks,
Ulrich

Re: Stata 11 Mac crashes

Eric A. Booth
<>

Using the publicly available dataset "sysdsn1" I was able to reproduce the crash Ulrich described using Stata/MP 11.1 for Mac OSX 10.6.5 (64-bit Intel) (Born 10 Nov 2010).

*******!
webuse sysdsn1
mlogit insure c.age i.male i.nonwhite i.site

**THESE WORK:
margins (i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite)#i.site#i.nonwhite, at(age=50)

margins (i.site#i.nonwhite)#i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite, at(age=50)

**THIS CRASHES STATA:
margins i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite#(i.site#i.nonwhite), at(age=50)
*******!

- Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University
[hidden email]
Office: +979.845.6754
Fax: +979.845.0249
http://ppri.tamu.edu

On Dec 5, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Ulrich Atz wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I can produce a crash with the following command (all dummy variables) after a multinomial logit regression:
>
> margins i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig#(i.us#i.highrel), at(age=50)
>
> This one for example works -margins (i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig)#i.us#i.highrel, at(age=50)-, though not as I intend. (The idea was to interact the first three dummies with an interaction term.)
>
> I know this is very little information and that the syntax may actually be wrong, but I suppose an error would be more appropriate than a crash. I use Stata/IC 11.1 for Mac (64-bit Intel).
>
> If the statalist is not the right place to report bugs, I apologise.
>
> Thanks,
> Ulrich
>
> Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer: http://lse.ac.uk/emailDisclaimer

RE: Stata 11 Mac crashes

ghoffman
Also crashes Stata SE for windows 32 bit, born 04-nov-2010

Using the publicly available dataset "sysdsn1" I was able to reproduce the crash Ulrich described using Stata/MP 11.1 for Mac OSX 10.6.5 (64-bit Intel) (Born 10 Nov 2010).

*******!
webuse sysdsn1
mlogit insure c.age i.male i.nonwhite i.site

**THESE WORK:
margins (i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite)#i.site#i.nonwhite, at(age=50)

margins (i.site#i.nonwhite)#i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite, at(age=50)

**THIS CRASHES STATA:
margins i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite#(i.site#i.nonwhite), at(age=50)
*******!

- Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University
[hidden email]
Office: +979.845.6754
Fax: +979.845.0249
http://ppri.tamu.edu

On Dec 5, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Ulrich Atz wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I can produce a crash with the following command (all dummy variables) after a multinomial logit regression:
>
> margins i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig#(i.us#i.highrel), at(age=50)
>
> This one for example works -margins (i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig)#i.us#i.highrel, at(age=50)-, though not as I intend. (The idea was to interact the first three dummies with an interaction term.)
>
> I know this is very little information and that the syntax may actually be wrong, but I suppose an error would be more appropriate than a crash. I use Stata/IC 11.1 for Mac (64-bit Intel).
>
> If the statalist is not the right place to report bugs, I apologise.
>
> Thanks,
> Ulrich
>
> Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer: http://lse.ac.uk/emailDisclaimer

RE: Stata 11 Mac crashes

Kieran McCaul-2

and Stata-64 running on Windows 7

Also crashes Stata SE for windows 32 bit, born 04-nov-2010

Using the publicly available dataset "sysdsn1" I was able to reproduce
the crash Ulrich described using Stata/MP 11.1 for Mac OSX 10.6.5
(64-bit Intel) (Born 10 Nov 2010).

*******!
webuse sysdsn1
mlogit insure c.age i.male i.nonwhite i.site

**THESE WORK:
margins (i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite)#i.site#i.nonwhite, at(age=50)

margins (i.site#i.nonwhite)#i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite, at(age=50)

**THIS CRASHES STATA:
margins i.site#i.male#i.nonwhite#(i.site#i.nonwhite), at(age=50)
*******!

- Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University
[hidden email]
Office: +979.845.6754
Fax: +979.845.0249
http://ppri.tamu.edu

On Dec 5, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Ulrich Atz wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I can produce a crash with the following command (all dummy variables)
after a multinomial logit regression:

> margins i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig#(i.us#i.highrel), at(age=50)
>
> This one for example works -margins
(i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig)#i.us#i.highrel, at(age=50)-, though not as I
intend. (The idea was to interact the first three dummies with an
interaction term.)

> I know this is very little information and that the syntax may
actually be wrong, but I suppose an error would be more appropriate than
a crash. I use Stata/IC 11.1 for Mac (64-bit Intel).

> If the statalist is not the right place to report bugs, I apologise.
>
> Thanks,
> Ulrich

communications disclaimer: http://lse.ac.uk/emailDisclaimer

Re: Stata 11 Mac crashes

nshephard
Administrator
You can add...

. about

Stata/IC 11.1 for Unix (Linux 64-bit x86-64)
Born 04 Nov 2010
Copyright (C) 2009 StataCorp LP

..to the list of crashes too.

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [hidden email]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/

Re: Stata 11 Mac crashes

Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP
Ulrich Atz <[hidden email]> is using -margins- after -mlogit-, but Stata
crashes in the middle of the -margins- command execution:

> I can produce a crash with the following command (all dummy variables) after
> a multinomial logit regression:
>
> margins i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig#(i.us#i.highrel), at(age=50)
>
> This one for example works -margins
> (i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig)#i.us#i.highrel, at(age=50)-, though not as I
> intend. (The idea was to interact the first three dummies with an
> interaction term.)
>
> I know this is very little information and that the syntax may actually be
> wrong, but I suppose an error would be more appropriate than a crash. I use
> Stata/IC 11.1 for Mac (64-bit Intel).
>
> If the statalist is not the right place to report bugs, I apologise.

We have determined that the crash is caused by more than one duplicate
variable specified in an interaction; parentheses control the parsing order
and can prevent the crash.

This will be fixed in the next executable update.

In the mean time Ulrich can avoid the crash by specifying a given factor
variable only once per interaction.

For example, Ulrich's example was

        . margins i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig#(i.us#i.highrel), at(age=50)

The duplicate variables are 'i.us' and 'i.highrelig', and the parentheses add
nothing to this interaction specification.  The above syntax is equivalent to

        . margins i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig, at(age=50)

In a side note Ulrich said:

> (The idea was to interact the first three dummies with an interaction term.)

If Ulrich meant to separately interact each of the dummies with another term,
then the following syntax might be what Ulrich wants:

        . margins (us highed)#highrelig, at(age=50)

This is a shorthand notation for

        . margins us#highrelig highed#highrelig, at(age=50)

If Ulrich meant to compute the margins for each dummy in addition to their
interaction with another term, then Ulrich can type:

        . margins (us highed)##highrelig, at(age=50)

This is a shorthand notation for

        . margins i.us i.highed i.highrelig us#highrelig highed#highrelig, at(age=50)

--Jeff

Re: Stata 11 Mac crashes

Ulrich Atz-2
Thanks Jeff and everyone else for your response.

For completeness:
I solved it by generating the interaction term manually.

gen usXhighrelig=us*highrelig
margins i.us#i.highed#i.highrelig#i.usXhighrelig, at(age=50)