Quantcast

How to get Stata 10 to export formatted tables to microsoft word or excel?

How to get Stata 10 to export formatted tables to microsoft word or excel?

Faiz Rasool
Hi all:

I'm new to Stata and to this email list. I'm a Blind student. I'm interested
to find out the ways of exporting tables to Microsoft word or excel in a way
that requires little manual formatting specially formatting that involves a
use of mouse. The information I've search on the internet regarding tables
produced by stata and moving them to word has largely suggested that 1
select the table in the results window, 2 select remove  | from the table
copy option, 3 paste it to a word processor of choice. Their are two basic
issues with this approach that do not allow me to follow it. 1 The table can
only be highlighted using a mouse. 2 The screen reading software that I use
does not read the contents of the results window,  it works fine with  menus
and variables window though. Presently I've to  coppy the entire results
window and paste it into microsoft word. Using this approach tables are not
at all formatted and I've to coppy and paste after every command to see what
is its output. Ideally I'd like that their is an option that lets me export
tables in formatted form, or require little input from a mouse in formatting
them. By tables I'm refering to all forms of tables from summary statistics
to regression results. I'm sorry if it is not allowed to mention SPSS here.
But it does do what I've requested above. I Wish Stata has this facility
too.

Thanks all,
Faiz.

AW: How to get Stata 10 to export formatted tables to microsoft word or excel?

You should definitely take a look at the -estout- suite of commands
(user-written), which you can obtain from

*************
ssc d estout
*************

RE: How to get Stata 10 to export formatted tables to microsoft word or excel?

Kiss Sándor Csanád
for example:

findit outreg2
[install]
outreg2 using c:\regression_output, nor2 alpha(0.01, 0.05, 0.1) pvalue nolabel replace word
or to excel
outreg2 using c:\regression_output, nor2 alpha(0.01, 0.05, 0.1) pvalue nolabel replace excel

          Kiss Sándor Csanád
          Elemző közgazdász / Economist
          Office of the Fiscal Council, Hungary
          1055 Budapest, Honvéd utca 20.
          T: (+36 1) 510 3025
          Mobil: (+36 30) 703 1024
          Fax: (+36 1) 510 3099

Re: AW: How to get Stata 10 to export formatted tables to microsoft word or excel?

SCHOUMAKER Bruno
- Tabout - is also very flexible and allows you to save tables as .csv
files (but no regression results I think). You can then open the file
directly from in excel, and use a simple macro to convert file  If you
have many files, it is also possible to write a visual basic script as
part of your stata program, and run you VB script from excel.
Bruno

Le 5/08/2010 14:46, Martin Weiss a écrit :

> <>
>
> You should definitely take a look at the -estout- suite of commands
> (user-written), which you can obtain from
>
> *************
> ssc d estout
> *************

Bruno SCHOUMAKER

Centre de recherche en démographie et sociétés
Université catholique de Louvain
1-17 PLace Montesquieu
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM

Tel. +32 10 474136
Fax. +32 10 472952

[hidden email]
www.uclouvain.be/demo

Re: How to get Stata 10 to export formatted tables to microsoft word or excel?

Roger Newson
The solution I use is the -rtfutil- and -listtab- packages, downloadable
from SSC (if you have Stata 11) or from my website (if you have Stata
10). These packages can be used to export arbitrary Stata datasets to
tables in Rich Text Format documents, without manual intervention. To
use them, you need first to convert your results to Stata datasets, with
1 observation per row of the table you want. These datasets are known as
resultssets. Packages that create them include -parmest-, -xcollapse-
and -xcontract-. Programming with resultssets is described in detail in
references in the on-line help for -listtab-.

However, if you don't like programming, then you probably won't like
working with resultssets. In that case, you should probably use
-estout-, which can also produce .rtf documents containing tables.
However, you may then need to do a bit of manual intervention with mice,
if you want to produce the table you really wanted.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London
Royal Brompton Campus
Room 33, Emmanuel Kaye Building
1B Manresa Road
London SW3 6LR
UNITED KINGDOM
Tel: +44 (0)20 7352 8121 ext 3381
Fax: +44 (0)20 7351 8322
Email: [hidden email]
Departmental Web page:

On 05/08/2010 13:33, Faiz Rasool wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'm new to Stata and to this email list. I'm a Blind student. I'm interested
> to find out the ways of exporting tables to Microsoft word or excel in a way
> that requires little manual formatting specially formatting that involves a
> use of mouse. The information I've search on the internet regarding tables
> produced by stata and moving them to word has largely suggested that 1
> select the table in the results window, 2 select remove  | from the table
> copy option, 3 paste it to a word processor of choice. Their are two basic
> issues with this approach that do not allow me to follow it. 1 The table can
> only be highlighted using a mouse. 2 The screen reading software that I use
> does not read the contents of the results window,  it works fine with  menus
> and variables window though. Presently I've to  coppy the entire results
> window and paste it into microsoft word. Using this approach tables are not
> at all formatted and I've to coppy and paste after every command to see what
> is its output. Ideally I'd like that their is an option that lets me export
> tables in formatted form, or require little input from a mouse in formatting
> them. By tables I'm refering to all forms of tables from summary statistics
> to regression results. I'm sorry if it is not allowed to mention SPSS here.
> But it does do what I've requested above. I Wish Stata has this facility
> too.
>
> Thanks all,
> Faiz.

Re: How to get Stata 10 to export formatted tables to microsoft word or excel?

Faiz Rasool
Thank you very much for your answer. I've downloaded rtfutil, listtab and
other packages  mention that will create resultssets. Unfortunately, Ilooked
for examples of how to use rtfutil package but could not find any using
google and list archives. Are their examples of how to use rtfutil online?

Thanks,
> [...]

> not
> at all formatted and I've to coppy and paste after every command to see
> what
> is its output. Ideally I'd like that their is an option that lets me
> export
> tables in formatted form, or require little input from a mouse in
> formatting
> them. By tables I'm refering to all forms of tables from summary
> statistics
> to regression results. I'm sorry if it is not allowed to mention SPSS
> here.
> But it does do what I've requested above. I Wish Stata has this facility
> too.
>
> Thanks all,
> Faiz.

RE: How to get Stata 10 to export formatted tables to microsoft word or excel?

The examples in -help rtfutil- seem quite comprehensive to me...

[...]

http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/about/divisions/nhli/respiration/popgene
tics/reph/