Gini coefficient

momo
Dear statalisters

I use stata to calculate the Gini coefficient and I found this command "somersd", but actually I dont know how to do the inequality graph by stata.

So is there any specific command to do it or what.

Thanks for help

Re: Gini coefficient

Roger Newson
I presume that you want to produce a Lorenz curve. If you type, in Stata,

findit lorenz

then you will find a choice of programs to plot a Lorenz curve.

For future reference, you might want to use -scsomersd- (rather than
-somersd-) to calculate the Gini coefficient (with confidence limits).
The -scsomersd- package is downloadable from SSC, and calculates the
Gini coefficient in one line, as detailed in the on-line help.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London
Royal Brompton Campus
Room 33, Emmanuel Kaye Building
1B Manresa Road
London SW3 6LR
UNITED KINGDOM
Tel: +44 (0)20 7352 8121 ext 3381
Fax: +44 (0)20 7351 8322
Email: [hidden email]
Departmental Web page:

On 18/11/2010 15:11, momo wrote:

> Dear statalisters
>
> I use stata to calculate the Gini coefficient and I found this command
> "somersd", but actually I dont know how to do the inequality graph by stata.
>
> So is there any specific command to do it or what.
>
> Thanks for help

Re: Gini coefficient

momo
Thank you very much

Re: Gini coefficient

Sergiy Radyakin
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM, momo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear statalisters
>
> I use stata to calculate the Gini coefficient and I found this command
> "somersd", but actually I dont know how to do the inequality graph by stata.
>
> So is there any specific command to do it or what.
>
> Thanks for help

Momo, you may be interested in ADePT Inequality, which is a program
based on "Numerics by Stata" and does a number of standard inequality
analyses:

"ADePT Inequality is an application for the analysis of income or
consumption distributions. It calculates all the main scalar measures
of inequality in current use, graphs Lorenz and Generalized Lorenz
curves, and decomposes inequality by population subgroups and income
sources (or expenditure types). Where data is available for more than
one year, the program generates growth incidence curves and decomposes
changes in inequality into its various components."

ADePT supports Stata and SPSS datasets as inputs.

The software is available free of charge from the World Bank's site:
www.worldbank.org/adept

Best,
   Sergiy Radyakin

Re: Gini coefficient

alejandro lopez-feldman
Momo,

If you are interested in decomposition by sources you could also use

descogini

Alejandro

2010/11/19 Sergiy Radyakin <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM, momo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear statalisters
>>
>> I use stata to calculate the Gini coefficient and I found this command
>> "somersd", but actually I dont know how to do the inequality graph by stata.
>>
>> So is there any specific command to do it or what.
>>
>> Thanks for help
>
> Momo, you may be interested in ADePT Inequality, which is a program
> based on "Numerics by Stata" and does a number of standard inequality
> analyses:
>
> "ADePT Inequality is an application for the analysis of income or
> consumption distributions. It calculates all the main scalar measures
> of inequality in current use, graphs Lorenz and Generalized Lorenz
> curves, and decomposes inequality by population subgroups and income
> sources (or expenditure types). Where data is available for more than
> one year, the program generates growth incidence curves and decomposes
> changes in inequality into its various components."
>
> ADePT supports Stata and SPSS datasets as inputs.
>
> The software is available free of charge from the World Bank's site:
> www.worldbank.org/adept
>
> Best,
>   Sergiy Radyakin
>

>> --