Quantcast

Can .wmf file be opened by Stata?

Grace Jessie
statalists,
I know the graph generated by Stata can be saved as .wmf file with -graph export-.
And then Can .wmf file be opened by Stata? How to do it ?
Additionally, why does "translate figure.gph figure.wmf" in http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/editgraph.html  not work in my Stata ?

The following is showed:
. translate figure.gph figure.wmf
graph not Stata gph as-is format
r(610);

Thank you a lot!

Grace

Re: Can .wmf file be opened by Stata?

nshephard
Administrator
2010/11/1 Grace Jessie <[hidden email]>:
> statalists,
> I know the graph generated by Stata can be saved as .wmf file with -graph export-.
> And then Can .wmf file be opened by Stata? How to do it ?

Stata has its own native format for graphs.  There's a subtle hint in
the above command, its _exporting_ to a different format.  I can't
generate WMF as I'm on a *NIX system so have no way of checking this
for you, but even if you can open a WMF in Stata after having exported
it, you won't be able to do any tweaks to it.

Why do you want to open an exported *.wmf file in Stata?  Any
editing/tweaking should be done to the graph within Stata before
exporting it.

> Additionally, why does "translate figure.gph figure.wmf" in http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/editgraph.html  not work in my Stata ?

That would depend very much on which version of Stata you are using
which you haven't mentioned (as requested in the FAQ).  The top of
that page indicates that it pertains to Stata 9 though, so if you're
using a different version then I wouldn't expect it to work.

Also note that the article does not indicate that Stata is capable of
opening the exported *.wmf file, it is showing how to export to wmf
and then insert that image into a M$-Word (or other M$-Office style
product).

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [hidden email]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/

RE: Can .wmf file be opened by Stata?

Grace Jessie
Neil,
thank you very much for help.
I am just learning graph in Stata. Sometimes I exported the picture in .wmf file and wanted to edit it afterwards, so I sent the question.
Now that no editing can be done by .wmf file, I should also save the graph as .gph file in case I want to do any other editing afterwards.
Thank you for reminding me of the reason why  "translate figure.gph figure.wmf" does not work. My Stata is version 10, which may not
support the command.
By the way, is there a similar command in version 10 as "translate figure.gph figure.wmf" in version 9?
Thank you .

Grace

2010/11/2 Grace Jessie <[hidden email]>:
> I am just learning graph in Stata. Sometimes I exported the picture in .wmf file and wanted to edit it afterwards, so I sent the question.
> Now that no editing can be done by .wmf file, I should also save the graph as .gph file in case I want to do any other editing afterwards.

Its good practice to get the graph as close as possible in Stata first
(when its a .gph), but there are some things that are still
troublesome and for which you may wish to edit the exported .wmf file
in a grahpics editor external to Stata.  Thats what the
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/editgraph.html FAQ was
instructive about (steps 7 through to 11).

> Thank you for reminding me of the reason why  "translate figure.gph figure.wmf" does not work. My Stata is version 10, which may not
> support the command.
> By the way, is there a similar command in version 10 as "translate figure.gph figure.wmf" in version 9?

Yes, you already mentioned it, its -graph export [filename].wmf,
as(wmf)- to get a WMF version of your graph.  If there was something
you couldn't get right in Stata you can then pick up the the FAQ at
step 4 to make the desired alterations.

Neil